cannond1396

Reputable
Aug 15, 2018
Long story short, had about 3-4 xfinity technician come in to fix our slow internet speed that was consistently dropping and failing. In the end, it turned out to be the coax cable outside of our house that runs from the cable box to the modem Xfi gateway that was old and corroded. Since then after replacing for a brand new coax cable, it has been running insanely fast and stable. I have tested out my speedtest on my wireless desktop PC that is connected to my 5Ghz WiFi and it can go over 100+ mbps. This was all fixed last summer of 2019.

Fast forward to February of 2020, I noticed a drop in internet speed and it has gone down from nearly 150 mbps which was the fastest I received for my WiFi speed and it has gone down to about 20 - 50 mbps.

I did a restart by logging in to Xfinity and restarting the gateway via software. That first solution did not work so I moved on to the next troubleshooting step and that was to unplug and plugging in the power cable to restart the gateway. Both of those troubleshooting steps did not fix the problem.

Now I am just wondering why my internet speed has gradually dropped. We are paying for 400 mbps and when connected hardwire via ethernet cable, it gets at or nearly 400 mbps. My iphone tested out at 200+ mbps sometimes and sometimes less than 100 mbps. I just tested it out recently and today my iPhone just topped out at 48.2 mbps.

RealBeast

Titan
Yeah, that is a common problem -- Internet speeds as sold are "up to X Mbps." The only thing that you really can do if your Ethernet speedtests are subpar is to complain to support enough to be the squeaky wheel, so they respond and do something.

Unfortunately, I am experiencing the same issue with another provider.

cannond1396

Reputable
Aug 15, 2018
Yeah, that is a common problem -- Internet speeds as sold are "up to X Mbps." The only thing that you really can do if your Ethernet speedtests are subpar is to complain to support enough to be the squeaky wheel, so they respond and do something.

Unfortunately, I am experiencing the same issue with another provider.
Update: Just did a couple of resets both unplugging and plugging in the cable as well as restarting the gateway through xfinity.com.

I re-downloaded my wi-fi adapter driver that I have in my PC and since then it has been working fine. No issue so far and the connection has been stable since then.

Just got to get into a habit of restarting the gateway once in a while to have a speedy recovering.