[SOLVED] My laptop disconnects from the Wi-Fi and reconnects every few seconds

Dec 10, 2019
So, as the title suggests, I'm losing my wireless internet connection every now and then, and it is very frequent. My laptop disconnects from the internet more than twice a minute, and I have no idea what's wrong. I tried following a guide online that listed a couple of reasons for this, but none of them have worked. They included restarting the computer and turning off something that allowed the laptop to turn off the internet device in order to save battery. The second one sounded logical, but after trying that and restarting both the pc and the Wi-Fi I still didn't get any result. So I've come here to ask for advice, since I'm too dumb to figure this out myself. Thanks in advance.

Solution
what band are you using? sometimes it's just being in a congested area. you may have to change your router to stay on a fixed band and see if that helps. the advice about turning off power saving on the wifi device is a decent one but may not help if you're getting stepped on by other sources in your neighborhood.

So, as the title suggests, I'm losing my wireless internet connection every now and then, and it is very frequent. My laptop disconnects from the internet more than twice a minute, and I have no idea what's wrong. I tried following a guide online that listed a couple of reasons for this, but none of them have worked. They included restarting the computer and turning off something that allowed the laptop to turn off...
The most immediate thing to try, is to make sure all of your system drivers are up to date, Lan, Wifi, chipset etc. You can download all the latest drivers from your laptop manufacturers website.

Once you have done that, make sure windows has all update installed. Hopefully this will get everything running as it should.

What is your laptop model/make?

what band are you using? sometimes it's just being in a congested area. you may have to change your router to stay on a fixed band and see if that helps. the advice about turning off power saving on the wifi device is a decent one but may not help if you're getting stepped on by other sources in your neighborhood.

So, as the title suggests, I'm losing my wireless internet connection every now and then, and it is very frequent. My laptop disconnects from the internet more than twice a minute, and I have no idea what's wrong. I tried following a guide online that listed a couple of reasons for this, but none of them have worked. They included restarting the computer and turning off something that allowed the laptop to turn off the internet device in order to save battery. The second one sounded logical, but after trying that and restarting both the pc and the Wi-Fi I still didn't get any result. So I've come here to ask for advice, since I'm too dumb to figure this out myself. Thanks in advance.

Solution

Pipsfc

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2014
I don't mean to hijack this thread but I have the same issue. Christmas day I added 3 new smart TVs and and Xbox One to the network. I'm using a Nighthawk AC1900 and I've set my router to automatically detect the best band for the device connected (2.4GHz vs 5GHz). Since adding these devices, my wife's laptop (ASUS G750JM) has been disconnecting and reconnecting every couple of minutes. I have the same laptop with no issues.

• I've restarted her laptop
  • Restarted the Broadcom wireless adapter
  • Updated the drives for the wireless adapter
  • Ensured Windows had the most recent updates
  • Adjusted the compatible bandwidth settings on the wireless adapter properties (which actually sped up her connection)

I still need to try the power saving option and the chipset updates as well, but beyond that, I'm not sure where to go from there. I'm wondering if it might be the Auto Band detection (I don't remember the exact terminology while I'm at work) or possibly the number of devices, but I never have more than 10-12 operating at one time. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.