[SOLVED] My laptop forgets my tv everytime it's turned off

Oct 1, 2021
I have a dell g7 7588 running Windows 10. I have it connected to my tv (skyworth 50suc9300 android TV) via hdmi. However everytime the TV is turned off my pc completely forgets the TV exists. I can't see it as a monitor in the display settings and it doesn't show up in device manager. The only way to detect the TV again is to restart my pc. I use the TV when I'm in bed and want to watch something and having to get up and restart my pc every single time I want to watch something is really annoying. I've tried switching to the hdmi from my ps5, updating the graphics drivers (Intel and Nvidia) and updating windows. I'm at a complete loss I have no idea what could be causing this. Any help would be appreciated

Solution
I ran into a similar problem using one of my PC builds with an Insignia brand Roku TV. Often had to restart and more than was handy actually had to unplug the HDMI, forget the connection on the TV side, then hook back up and "rediscover" the TV as the output device. I never found a solution. My guess is poor driver compatibility.

Lutfij

Titan
What version of Windows 10 are you working with? Can you use CPU-Z to show you what your BIOS version is at the time of writing? You can use your laptop's service tag on Dell's support site and see if you have any BIOS updates pending.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I ran into a similar problem using one of my PC builds with an Insignia brand Roku TV. Often had to restart and more than was handy actually had to unplug the HDMI, forget the connection on the TV side, then hook back up and "rediscover" the TV as the output device. I never found a solution. My guess is poor driver compatibility.

Solution