My laptop freezes for a bit when I right click.

ahmodity

Prominent
Jul 7, 2017
Hello, I recently got a new laptop ( particularly a gaming laptop. ) which is an HP Omen 15 ( 2017 model )I had to reinstall Windows 10 though as I wanted add in a Kingston 120GB m.2 SSD and upgrading it to 8GB of RAM, so I formatted the laptop and reinstalled Windows 10. ( I'm quite sure I have all the important drivers installed currently ) the laptop freezes for a second or two if I right click on the desktop ( not occasionally, but all the time.. ) any possible causes? Refreshing doesn't help either. Thanks. The freezing situation is quite annoying especially the fact that I just bought the laptop like last week.

Solution
Being "new" does not mean that a product is going to properly work. And electronic devices do tend to fail or show problems early on.

And all the more likely is that the new laptop has some "crapware" or even some legitimate software trying to phone home, update, backup, etc.... Can easily have a negative impact on performance.

And per @rdg1101 have you installed any related "add-on's" for the mouse.

If the laptop goes to sleep earlier there is a very good chance that Task Manager and/or Resource Monitor will show what happens at that time.

Plus, if necessary, Event Viewer is another tool you can use for diagnostic purposes.

No one likes to consider that a new laptop or product may be defective. However, if so, it is in your...

Ralston18

Titan
Try another mouse on the laptop and try your mouse on another computer. See if the problem stays with the laptop or follows the mouse. Could be a defect in the mouse or the connectivity between mouse and laptop.

You may have the correct drivers installed but that does not necessarily mean that the installation is per se correct. Could be some bug or corrupted file involved.

Start by downloading the mouse drivers via the mouse manufacturer's web site. Reinstall and reconfigure.

If the problem remains then open Task Manager or Resource Monitor and watch what happens when the mouse right click is applied.

ahmodity

Prominent
Jul 7, 2017

ahmodity

Prominent
Jul 7, 2017
Nope. This happens on the laptop's trackpad as well. I know it's not the mouse since the mouse ( or pretty much all my items for this laptop) is brand new. Some people mentioned it could be antivirus but i don't have any other antivirus software other than the Windows Defender thingy. Although I did notice my laptop is sleeping a lot earlier than I set it, ( I set the sleep timer at 15 minutes but it sleeps after 1-5 minutes or so even while plugging in ) I'm actually a bit scared that it might be something else.

Ralston18

Titan
Being "new" does not mean that a product is going to properly work. And electronic devices do tend to fail or show problems early on.

And all the more likely is that the new laptop has some "crapware" or even some legitimate software trying to phone home, update, backup, etc.... Can easily have a negative impact on performance.

And per @rdg1101 have you installed any related "add-on's" for the mouse.

If the laptop goes to sleep earlier there is a very good chance that Task Manager and/or Resource Monitor will show what happens at that time.

Plus, if necessary, Event Viewer is another tool you can use for diagnostic purposes.

No one likes to consider that a new laptop or product may be defective. However, if so, it is in your best interest to find out for certain one way or another.

What happens is that the providing vendor will likely have you do some "tests" etc. to confirm the problem anyway.

The more you know the better.

Should there be some defect, hopefully there will be a warranty and you can RMA as applicable.

Solution