[SOLVED] my laptop heats up to 90+ degrees on startup, should i return my laptop?

Jul 24, 2019
So i bought the msi gs75 laptop about 10 days ago, i've noticed that the temps in this laptop are absurdly high. On startup i sometimes get cpu temps over 90 degrees. After a few minutes it calms down at sits between 50 and 70 on idle. Before i bought this laptop i did some research on the heat and i believe they shouldnt be this high at all. I think its a problem with the termal paste but opening up my laptop voids the warranty. So should i just return it and ask for a new one?

the specs are as followed
CPU: i7-8750H
GPU: rtx 2080 maxQ
Ram: 32gb Dual

Solution
So i bought the msi gs75 laptop about 10 days ago, i've noticed that the temps in this laptop are absurdly high. On startup i sometimes get cpu temps over 90 degrees. After a few minutes it calms down at sits between 50 and 70 on idle. Before i bought this laptop i did some research on the heat and i believe they shouldnt be this high at all. I think its a problem with the termal paste but opening up my laptop voids the warranty. So should i just return it and ask for a new one?

I would ask MSI directly is they honor the warranty based on your experience. There's a good chance they would, even if the store you brought it from won't.

And yes, those temps...

Sagittariusss

Reputable
Feb 7, 2017
You own a gaming laptop so temperatures are naturally higher, though 70 degrees on idle is not normal in any circumstances. You don't have anything to lose if you return it and ask for a new one, so just do it.

Reactions: iandeboom

I would ask MSI directly is they honor the warranty based on your experience. There's a good chance they would, even if the store you brought it from won't.

And yes, those temps are absolutely bonkers for a laptop. They shouldn't go over 50°C even at load.

Cheers!

Reactions: iandeboom
Solution