My LCD gets darker as it gets to the top

Arkanis

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
I just got this monitor, a Hyundai L70A 17inch LCD and the colors get gradually darker until they are darkest at the top...I can still make out everything, but it is noticeable. What does this sound like to you? A burnt backlight or a characteristic of the monitor?

profjo00

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2002
it sounds like a ship as lcd.... naw kidding i have no idea. lets the pro's answer this one for you, if you still have aguarantee on the monitor, try to get a new one

G

Well...what are your viewing angles? How long have you had the problem? How old is the LCD? What video card do you use?

Jack Burton is a great man...

Arkanis

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
I just opened it 2 hours ago and hooked it up. I have a diamond savage 4 card (analog). It's not really noticeable in windows, but when I load up Heroes of Might and Magic 3, I can see the difference. I am going to try a couple other games to get a feel for it...oh, it does get a bit better viewing it dead straight on and level when playing the game. I don't think it's as bad as I made it sound in my first post, but I would still like your opinions about it (and appreciate them).

Arkanis

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
But even viewing it at the optimum angle gives me a slight gradient from bottom to top in color...do you experience this with yours too?

Arkanis

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
Actually the screen does get quite dark at the top when playing HOMM3. How can you tell if a backlight is burnt out? I am not sure how many this screen has, but I am wondering with this monitor.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
If the backlight was dead, u rly wouldn't be able to see anything. This is just b/c teh viewing angles. And yes, it is noticeable if I look for it. U'll get used to it, trust me.

Sig of the week.

SDLeMire

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2002
THE backlight? Most lcd's have at least 4 of them don't they? If one was out, it's possible you could get that symptom, but it would likely apply to all situations (desktop, games, etc.) What you're describing is most likely viewing angles. Doesn't necessarily matter if you view head on either. Do simple math, the top of the screen is a different distance from your eyes than another part of the screen, and with poor viewing angles, and the closer you are to your monitor, the more you'll notice this.

Arkanis

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
Yeah, if I change my elevation the top gets lighter, and the bottom even lighter, I guess this isn't a defect...it's just a large screen. Everything else on the monitor is nice...it is bright and has vibrant colors...and an analog and digital out (the digital out is why I went for it ;).

G

I am not familiar with your screen, but I think it should be evenly lit. Maybe its a really cheap panel, or maybe its messed up. Modern LCDs should be a lot better than the strangenesses of viewing angles we put up with from laptops of a generation ago.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; In practice, there is.

SDLeMire

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2002
I agree. This affects just about every LCD but if you have good enough viewing angles and sit far enough away from it, you may not notice any difference in contrast between the top and bottom of the screen.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Definetly true for ths sitting back part, but then again, how far can you sit before things become too small, or your keyboard's too far? Viewing angles do help, but in teh case of the L70A they aren't that great. I have found MVA screens to be really impressive in this area actually, I was looking at one in a store, and it really did look great, even from angles which would've been too dark on my TFT7020. Let's see what a year from now will bring!

Sig of the week.

SDLeMire

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2002
That's the one place where the PV174 shined. Not perfect but very little noticeable difference in contrast between the top and bottom, except maybe when it was in portrait mode. :wink:

TRENDING THREADS