[SOLVED] my memory(rated 3000) is showing as 2133MHZ

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Oct 13, 2019
I have tried putting xpm 1 & 2 on but it still wont change and i have manually inserted the timings and changed the voltage for ram yet my ram speeds wont increase. I have an MSI gaming plus b450, and my ram is a vulcan t-force PC4-24000 (DDR4-3000).
the timings are 16-18-18-38 and voltage is 1.35.
Also the xmp profile 2 goes to 2933mhz so i set that as my frequency. It may be because i haven't updated my bios for about a year or year and a half.
Please inform me on what is should do as my ram is fine(ran windows diagnostic). I also previously had a 2133mhz ram which overclocked to 2800mhz without difficulty.

Solution
Did you try one stick, in the A2 (2nd slot over from CPU) slot to see if you could get just ONE stick to run at the correct speed and timings? And then try the other stick in the same slot?

UB6JJIp.png

If you did, and it still wouldn't work, then I'd check the memory manufacturers compatibility listings to see if those sticks show as being compatible for that motherboard. NOT the motherboard QVL, the MEMORY manufacturers pages.
Oct 13, 2019
See my last post, I updated it.

Also, you may be able to return your memory kit to the retailer and get something that is compatible. I much prefer G.Skill above all others for gaming and enthusiast builds, followed secondly by Corsair. I try to stick to the Ripjaws and Trident Z sticks from G.skill. Their value memory or Aegis are for bottom feeders.

For Corsair, the Vengeance is ok, but isn't particularly terrific. Their Dominator platinum is much better and is on par with the higher end Trident Z sticks. Kingston is ok as a third choice but the ONLY Team group memory I recommend are kits that are CL14 because those will be Samsung B-die if they are 3000-3600mhz sticks.
I don't know if i can because i bought used ones from Ebay but i think he sent me the warranty would that allow me to return it? But it may only give the money back to seller. And they are Teamgroup, I might as well upgrade my motherboard as that would be a better investment as these sticks are actually pretty good, but i'll see.

Just because sticks are "good" doesn't mean there can't be problems with them or that they can't be incompatible, as you've seen. What is the exact model of your memory kit?

Maybe you can sell those sticks to recoup the investment of better sticks. If those sticks are not CL14 (CAS 14) then they are not all that terrific. Only the CL14 Team branded sticks are high end Samsung B-die modules. The rest are "meh" compared to even the Corsair Vengeance sticks, which themselves are "meh" compared to most Ripjaws or Trident Z sticks. IMO anyhow.

Oct 13, 2019
Just because sticks are "good" doesn't mean there can't be problems with them or that they can't be incompatible, as you've seen. What is the exact model of your memory kit?

Maybe you can sell those sticks to recoup the investment of better sticks. If those sticks are not CL14 (CAS 14) then they are not all that terrific. Only the CL14 Team branded sticks are high end Samsung B-die modules. The rest are "meh" compared to even the Corsair Vengeance sticks, which themselves are "meh" compared to most Ripjaws or Trident Z sticks. IMO anyhow.
Well they aren't cas 14 as I was on a budget. My modules are:
TEAM GROUP VULCAN T-FORCE 16GB (2X8GB) DDR4 PC4-24000C16 3000MHZ DUAL CHANNEL KIT - GREY (TLGD416G30
When I bought it they were about £85 on market, they've gotten a lot cheaper, I only bought it 3-4 months ago.
Well I guess they must not have actually been that good.

They aren't. The Team Dark sticks are their high end series. The Vulcan sticks aren't "bad" per se, I mean, they are in general better than say the Corsair or G.Skill value RAM or Aegis kits, or a lot of other lower end memory out there, but they are not in the same league as these other high end models and for Ryzen you REALLY want the best sticks you can possibly afford, with as much speed (To a point) and the lowest latency that can be purchased within your means.

What is your CPU model? I don't see that here anywhere.

Oct 13, 2019
They aren't. The Team Dark sticks are their high end series. The Vulcan sticks aren't "bad" per se, I mean, they are in general better than say the Corsair or G.Skill value RAM or Aegis kits, or a lot of other lower end memory out there, but they are not in the same league as these other high end models and for Ryzen you REALLY want the best sticks you can possibly afford, with as much speed (To a point) and the lowest latency that can be purchased within your means.

What is your CPU model? I don't see that here anywhere.
My cpu is the ryzen 5 2600(definitely needs speed)

So then are you planning to try a different board that supports those sticks or get different sticks that will work on your current board. Both options may be viable, but I think better sticks is obviously the better option, however it is not my money a board might be less expensive. Hard to say really based on what you can actually afford or are willing to spend.

These would be a very good option, because they have timings MEANT for Ryzen, and are 200mhz faster than your current sticks PLUS they are very good Samsung B-die sticks with CL14 timings.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/G-SKILL-F4...words=F4-3200C14D-16GFX&qid=1571170645&sr=8-1

Certainly there are less expensive options that should work with your board as well.

Oct 13, 2019
So then are you planning to try a different board that supports those sticks or get different sticks that will work on your current board. Both options may be viable, but I think better sticks is obviously the better option, however it is not my money a board might be less expensive. Hard to say really based on what you can actually afford or are willing to spend.

These would be a very good option, because they have timings MEANT for Ryzen, and are 200mhz faster than your current sticks PLUS they are very good Samsung B-die sticks with CL14 timings.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/G-SKILL-F4...words=F4-3200C14D-16GFX&qid=1571170645&sr=8-1

Certainly there are less expensive options that should work with your board as well.
Tbh If I sell my ram I won't be making any profit as the sales price has gone down by £20, plus they're used, it will be hard enough to sell them for even £50 and plus my budget is very tight so I plan to save up and make a big upgrade at a good time(like ryzen 3000) and obviously I need a newer MB for the new ryzens and obviously I'd need to sell my sticks, who knows what would have happened to the price by then. A year and a half ago these sticks would be worth around £100-£120 now they're £65 and as I said they were £85 3months ago, I doubt my ram could get cheaper but I guess we'll see.

Wait. What?

You don't need a newer motherboard. Your motherboard is perfectly fine for Ryzen 3000/Zen2 upgrades. In fact, they will likely have an easier time of things than 2nd Gen Ryzen did, because they are almost all lower TDP than the equivalent core models from Ryzen 2000 series.

Oct 13, 2019
Wait. What?

You don't need a newer motherboard. Your motherboard is perfectly fine for Ryzen 3000/Zen2 upgrades. In fact, they will likely have an easier time of things than 2nd Gen Ryzen did, because they are almost all lower TDP than the equivalent core models from Ryzen 2000 series.
Really? I thought I'd had to get an x570 or whatever the new boards for ryzen 3000 are. That's good to know.