[SOLVED] My monitors get disabled when turned off ?

Foxseiz

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2014
I have Asus Strix 3090 and I have two TUF monitors (VG27AQ) which are connected using DP, and I also have a TV that is connected to HDMI.

When I turn off the monitor, it gets disabled (greyed out in Device Management) which results in shifting all applications and other software to a different monitor, and also from time to time, my TV gets disconnected without turning it off.

I have reinstalled my Windows OS and reinstalled all the drivers of my PC, does this mean a faulty card?

Solution
I have Asus Strix 3090 and I have two TUF monitors (VG27AQ) which are connected using DP, and I also have a TV that is connected to HDMI.

When I turn off the monitor, it gets disabled (greyed out in Device Management) which results in shifting all applications and other software to a different monitor, and also from time to time, my TV gets disconnected without turning it off.

I have reinstalled my Windows OS and reinstalled all the drivers of my PC, does this mean a faulty card?

This is normal. When you turn off the screen, it's not connected to the computer anymore, so how would the computer still think it's connected to keep any icons on it?
If you keep the monitor that is the primary one turned on, this should not...

Lutfij

Titan
When you state reinstalling, did you reinstall the OS afresh or did you reset? Following that, did you fabricate your bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools? As for your GPU, assuming you've got the latest GPU driver on your system(stored on a part of your storage), use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers, then reboot, then manually reinstall your GPU driver in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Make and model of your PSU and it's age? BISO version for your motherboard? Make and model of said motherboard?

This is normal. When you turn off the screen, it's not connected to the computer anymore, so how would the computer still think it's connected to keep any icons on it?
If you keep the monitor that is the primary one turned on, this should not happen unless you have icons on the second screen you shut off.

Solution

Foxseiz

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2014
When you state reinstalling, did you reinstall the OS afresh or did you reset? Following that, did you fabricate your bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools? As for your GPU, assuming you've got the latest GPU driver on your system(stored on a part of your storage), use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers, then reboot, then manually reinstall your GPU driver in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Make and model of your PSU and it's age? BISO version for your motherboard? Make and model of said motherboard?

I did a reset on my PC, and reinstalled all software and drivers with Admin.

My PSU is RoG Thor 1200W, my mobo is Asus Maximus XII Formula and my bios version is up to date as well.

For specs reference: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/qDV7YJ

Foxseiz

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2014
If you keep the monitor that is the primary one turned on, this should not happen unless you have icons on the second screen you shut off.

When you turn off the screen, the monitor is still connected to the computer physically which the GPU should know. When I turn off the second monitor, all the programs in that monitor shift to the ones that are on. This doesn't happen to my old system which has 2 monitors as well.

Last edited: