[SOLVED] My motherboard is making a weird noise when i try to apply my ram

Jan 23, 2021
Yesterday I and my friend tried to apply my ram onto my motherboard (before applying it into the case) and it made a weird noise when we tried to press it down, we were a bit concerned and wanted to be sure that we wouldn't cause any permanent damage to the motherboard or the ram.

The ram is compatible with the motherboard, but I just want to be sure if it is safe to apply more pressure since it wasn't all the way down, but made a weird noise while pushing down.

RAM: Kingston HyperX FURY DDR4-3200 C16 DC - 16GB
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX

If anyone could help, that would be great!

It makes this specific noise:
View: https://youtu.be/3l94kSjvX6A?t=100
if that helps

Last edited:
Solution

Make sure the key-way notch along the edge of the DIMM is in alignment with the key in the DIMM socket.

Open up the little 'catch' levers on the ends of the DIMM socket (there may be only one)

Make sure the DIMM is sliding into both grooves in the alignment guides along the edges.

Push down firmly until the 'catch' levers pop into the notches on the ends of the DIMM. It can be surprisingly difficult...and should be as there's almost 300 contacts you're engaging. The motherboard will probably make creaking noises as it flexes, that's also normal and just like that video shows. Just...
Jan 25, 2021
A weird 'motor-like' noise emitts from my PC during booting, how do I fix it? What should one do if a fan component starts rattling around or making strange sounds from their PC? Intel Core 2 Duo processor, Intel DP45SG motherboard, an NVIDIA 9600GT PCIe graphics card, and 2GB of DDR3 RAM.

Make sure the key-way notch along the edge of the DIMM is in alignment with the key in the DIMM socket.

Open up the little 'catch' levers on the ends of the DIMM socket (there may be only one)

Make sure the DIMM is sliding into both grooves in the alignment guides along the edges.

Push down firmly until the 'catch' levers pop into the notches on the ends of the DIMM. It can be surprisingly difficult...and should be as there's almost 300 contacts you're engaging. The motherboard will probably make creaking noises as it flexes, that's also normal and just like that video shows. Just make sure it's aligned right and push until the latches engage in the notches. (there may be only one).

Solution
A weird 'motor-like' noise emitts from my PC during booting, how do I fix it? What should one do if a fan component starts rattling around or making strange sounds from their PC? Intel Core 2 Duo processor, Intel DP45SG motherboard, an NVIDIA 9600GT PCIe graphics card, and 2GB of DDR3 RAM.
First: You really should open your own thread for this question.

Just looking at the age of the component list I'd say your problem indeed is a fan that's failed or about to fail.

You'd have to determine what fan it is. If it's one inside the PSU (highly likely) I'd say your system is probably beyond economic repair as replacing a PSU fan isn't something the average DIY'er should consider doing and an entire new PSU is going to be costly. You can live with the noise if a new system is out of reach right now; once it fails completely the fan will seize and noises will stop.

If it's a CPU or case fan then open up it up and listen for which it is; you can hold a finger on each one to see which stops the noises. Replacing one of them is usually pretty straightforward.

And lastly is it could be a hard drive. They many times start in with bearing noises late in life. It may last years and years longer...or it may fail tomorrow. If it is that replacing with an SSD will be a major improvement in performance too.