Question My mouse is randomly clicking, dragging, and/or highlighting

Steven Mal

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2013
I have restarted my PC, tried to update drivers (Windows 10 informs me the best drivers for the device are already installed), I have tried a different mouse (both wired computer mice), and I have tried a different USB port. The problem exists in "Safe Mode" as well. What else can I try to get my mouse working properly again? Thank you.

Last edited:
May 7, 2024
You can try with a live Ubuntu (or other OS) flash drive or your BIOS menu if it has mouse drivers. If the issue still exists in either then the mouse is the issue. If the mouse is the issue, which it probably is, then you'll probably just need to get a new one unless for whatever reason you find it more economical to try and repair. Was there any liquid spilled on it or anything?

Steven Mal

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2013
You can try with a live Ubuntu (or other OS) flash drive or your BIOS menu if it has mouse drivers. If the issue still exists in either then the mouse is the issue. If the mouse is the issue, which it probably is, then you'll probably just need to get a new one unless for whatever reason you find it more economical to try and repair. Was there any liquid spilled on it or anything?
No liquid was spilled on my laptop or either mouse.

Steven Mal

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2013
What are full system hardware specs? I found this on the About page in System Settings.

Device name DESKTOP-9SP4Q4F
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10875H CPU @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB (15.8 GB usable)
Device ID 432758AC-05A5-48CF-BCB5-CD5FACFC3DF5
Product ID 00325-82037-53985-AAOEM
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display

The laptop is a Sager NP8378F2-S (Clevo PB71DF2-G)

The mouse is a Microsoft Compact Optical Mouse 500 v2.0 from 2020.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
To verify that I understand the problem:

Two known working mice (known to work via other computers) have the same problem on your PC - correct?

Specs noted but more information is needed:

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

Look in Task Manager and Resource Monitor for any unknown or unexpected apps/processes that may be running.

Use both tools but only one tool at a time. Leave tool window open and viewable. Work or game etc. as usual.

Watch the tool window for what changes when the mouse behavior changes.

May take a bit of trial and effort to work out the observation method. Take your time.

Also: have you run any anti-virus/malware scans?

Steven Mal

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2013
To verify that I understand the problem:

Two known working mice (known to work via other computers) have the same problem on your PC - correct?

Specs noted but more information is needed:

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

Look in Task Manager and Resource Monitor for any unknown or unexpected apps/processes that may be running.

Use both tools but only one tool at a time. Leave tool window open and viewable. Work or game etc. as usual.

Watch the tool window for what changes when the mouse behavior changes.

May take a bit of trial and effort to work out the observation method. Take your time.

Also: have you run any anti-virus/malware scans?
I don't know anything about the PSU make, model, wattage, age, condition or the Disk drive's make or model unfortunately. I'll try the Task Manager and Resource Monitor, separately of course. So far I haven't seen anything unusual. Windows Defender Firewall, free Avast Antivirus and free Malwarebytes found no malware.

Steven Mal

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2013
Reading back: Laptop or Desktop?
Sorry for the delay. It is a laptop. It was suggested to me to try disabling the touchpad, as my wrist or the sleeves of a jacket could have interfered with the toouchpad, as they were active simultaneously. I did keep an eye on my arms, wrists and sleeves to make sure they weren't getting in the way of the touchpad while I used the mouse but I haven't seen anything that confirms the suggestion. I decided to disable the touchpad anyway and the problem as disappeared. In fact, I reactivated the touchpad to see if the problem would reappeared and it did, even though I was sure my arms, wrists and sleeves had not interfered with the touchpad. I will keep the touchpad disabled from now on. Currently, I would be comfortable calling the problem solved. Thank you to everyone for all your help. I just hope it doesn't start to cause problems again after the thread closes...