Oct 14, 2019
So I've had my MSI GTX 970 for about 5 years now and I guess it finally died... I think, I tried to turn on my PC and it wouldn't turn on, then I turned off the PSU then back on and it started for a split second then my gpu sparked and shot a puff of white smoke out I then unplugged it all. My PC boots up and works with my mobo and cpu integrated graphics ( i5-3570k ) but not with my GPU installed so I took it apart and I thought just changing the thermal paste would have helped but it wasn't the cause ( since I haven't changed the thermal on it since I got it ) then it started for a second it smoked again and turned off,

I've had Stuttering problems for a while now like a year near 2 with this graphics card randomly out of the blue it would drop Voltages and usage which would cause HUGE fps drops while under heavy load ( I didn't OC the voltages I only ever turned up the Power and temp limit to max in afterburner which should have been fine and the temps have always been good on this GPU )

I took apart more of the inside and
found this: View: https://imgur.com/a/XcV0VTp

Could someone explain to me what this part that is burnt is and maybe some opinion as too why you think it I guess overheated and could it be repaired or would it cost more than the card to repair lol? Maybe something fell in that spot? but I highly doubt that since it's covered, I'm just not sure as to what happened maybe just being so old and it being used alot?

Solution
If you mean did my pc screen turn on, no it did not, my pc won't boot up while my graphics card is installed it basically shorts it out, I'm trying to find out what that part on the chip is for and why it overheated basically ya know
I think it was the Vram. VRAMs have smoked and cause fire in 1080s too

Sent from my CPH1729 using Tapatalk

daPain58

Proper
Sep 30, 2019
So I've had my MSI GTX 970 for about 5 years now and I guess it finally died... I think, I tried to turn on my PC and it wouldn't turn on, then I turned off the PSU then back on and it started for a split second then my gpu sparked and shot a puff of white smoke out I then unplugged it all. My PC boots up and works with my mobo and cpu integrated graphics ( i5-3570k ) but not with my GPU installed so I took it apart and I thought just changing the thermal paste would have helped but it wasn't the cause ( since I haven't changed the thermal on it since I got it ) then it started for a second it smoked again and turned off,

I've had Stuttering problems for a while now like a year near 2 with this graphics card randomly out of the blue it would drop Voltages and usage which would cause HUGE fps drops while under heavy load ( I didn't OC the voltages I only ever turned up the Power and temp limit to max in afterburner which should have been fine and the temps have always been good on this GPU )

I took apart more of the inside and
found this: View: https://imgur.com/a/XcV0VTp

Could someone explain to me what this part that is burnt is and maybe some opinion as too why you think it I guess overheated and could it be repaired or would it cost more than the card to repair lol? Maybe something fell in that spot? but I highly doubt that since it's covered, I'm just not sure as to what happened maybe just being so old and it being used alot?
While smoking did your PC show anything

Oct 14, 2019
While smoking did your PC show anything

If you mean did my pc screen turn on, no it did not, my pc won't boot up while my graphics card is installed it basically shorts it out, I'm trying to find out what that part on the chip is for and why it overheated basically ya know

daPain58

Proper
Sep 30, 2019

Solution
Oct 14, 2019

Yeah I started to do some more research and yeah I'm pretty sure it's the Vram, that whole row of chips is called the Sinopower SM7320 Dual-Channel MOSFETs a MOSFET burnt out which makes sense since it wasn't converting the voltage right from my PSU so basically when that one chip was suppose to convert the voltage to the GPU it wasn't so it would I guess "skip" or just shut off on that chip/overheat so I would get the massive voltage drop to 0% same with the GPU usage which would result in my games freezing hard under load like a slide show.
I think that's what happened if I am understanding it right ( I don't know much about the internal works of things like chips n stuff I just play games at a High Competitive Level or well used too before this happened :( but yeah )
Now I don't know if I should try to get it repaired somewhere is it worth it or would it cost too much to get it repaired to the point where I should just try and get a new GPU whenever I ever get money which idk when will be ugh

daPain58

Proper
Sep 30, 2019
Yeah I started to do some more research and yeah I'm pretty sure it's the Vram, that whole row of chips is called the Sinopower SM7320 Dual-Channel MOSFETs a MOSFET burnt out which makes sense since it wasn't converting the voltage right from my PSU so basically when that one chip was suppose to convert the voltage to the GPU it wasn't so it would I guess "skip" or just shut off on that chip/overheat so I would get the massive voltage drop to 0% same with the GPU usage which would result in my games freezing hard under load like a slide show.
I think that's what happened if I am understanding it right ( I don't know much about the internal works of things like chips n stuff I just play games at a High Competitive Level or well used too before this happened :( but yeah )
Now I don't know if I should try to get it repaired somewhere is it worth it or would it cost too much to get it repaired to the point where I should just try and get a new GPU whenever I ever get money which idk when will be ugh
If it costs too much to repair get. New one instead