[SOLVED] My new graphics card won't display anything on my monitor.

Aug 21, 2021
Hello. This is my first time attempting to upgrade a computer part, so it is probably that I missed something that would be obvious to veteran PC builders.

My computer is an ASUS M32 series, unmodified before this new card. The original graphics card is an AMD Radeon R9 370 2GB, and the new one that I'm trying to upgrade to is a GTX 1660 6GB. I think that I did the hardware part of the swap correctly and that my problem is software, but I'm not positive. In regards to the power requirements, the 1660 only requires 10 more Watts than the R9 370 does.

I turned off my computer and disconnected it from everything, then took the side panel off, removed a metal plate that was screwed to brace the R9 370 in place, disconnected the 6 pin connector from my old card, unscrewed the part that was holding it in place at the back of the computer where the upgrade slots are, and then I pushed down on the clip where it connects to the motherboard until it clicked and the card slid right out pretty easily.

Putting in the 1660 was also fairly easy. I took the black cover sleeve off of the gold bit that connects to the motherboard and it slid right in and the clip clicked into place. The bracket that secures it to the back of my computer where the upgrade slots are doesn't quite match up with the holes for the screws, but I was still able to make sure it was firmly secure by putting a screw in the hole for one slot below it, which pinches the bracket and holds is securely with no wiggling or anything. The 1660 requires an 8 pin connector, but my computer has a 6+2 pin connector, which I was told means it can work for both 6 and 8. I attached the 2 to the 6 and they clicked into the connection port easily and securely. I did not replace the metal plate that was securing the R9 370 because there was nowhere to attach it to the 1660, but apart from that, everything went back into place. I put the side panel back and connected my computer to my monitor with an HDMI to HDMI cord.

When I tried to turn it on though, my monitor wasn't receiving anything. It acted like it wasn't connected. I tried another monitor with an HDMI to DVI cord, and still nothing. Neither monitor was receiving anything to display. I could hear the new card inside though, because the fans sounded different from my old card.

I was lead to believe that a new graphics card would be able to run in a very limited capacity to display what I'm doing so that I could install the new drivers. But instead I'm effectively blind. I tried inserting the driver CD that came with the new card, thinking that maybe I was wrong and that it would install the drivers from the CD automatically. That didn't happen.

I ejected the CD and turned off my computer, opening it up again and swapping back to my old R9 370. Everything is working as normal with the R9 370. I thought maybe I had to install the drivers before the new card, so I tried inserting the CD again. But it won't let me install them. I think it said that it requires the card to be inside the computer in order to install the drivers.

The above is every step I took in the process to replace my graphics card, without leaving anything out. Some of my terms may not be the correct technical terms, and for that inconvenience I apologize. I am currently still using the R9 370, and will probably continue to do so until I know what's going wrong.

Solution
My computer does have a second HDMI slot higher up, which I presume is the motherboard's HDMI slot. I just tried plugging my monitor into it and it won't display. Does that only work if I've already set my BIOS to default? Or is it supposed to work all the time and it's broken? Is there some option I need to toggle in order to activate it?

I would also like to confirm the order that I need to do things in, since I'm scared that if I mess up I'll make my computer unusable. Do I uninstall my drivers before or after configuring my BIOS? And if before, then do I configure my BIOS before or after inserting the new graphics card? JohnBonhamsGhost made it sound like I should configure before swapping parts, but you're making it sound like...
Aug 21, 2021
i would try removing the AMD drivers with DDU,
resetting the BIOS to optimized defaults,
then booting with the 1660 in place.

also list the full PC system specs.

I don't know what DDU is, or anything about BIOS. So I'll need that explained to me as if I'm an idiot. As for my system's specs:

Model: ASUS M32
Processor: Intel Core i7-6700, 3.4GHz
Memory: DDR4 16GB
Graphics: AMD Radeon R9 370 2GB
Storage: HDD 2TB
Optical Drive: DVD RW
Network: Integrated LAN 10/100/1000, Wireless LAN + Bluetooth
Power Supply Unit: I don't know the exact model but it says Delta, it's made by Delta Electronics Power (Dongguan) Co., Ltd. And it maxes out at 500 watts.
Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit.
Motherboard: M32CD_A_F_K20CD_K31CD (I used a Command Prompt to identify this, and I've tried to figure out more about it but I don't know how to interpret any of the information about my motherboard. So I don't know the specs beyond the model.)

Aug 11, 2021
I don't know what DDU is, or anything about BIOS. So I'll need that explained to me as if I'm an idiot. As for my system's specs:

Model: ASUS M32
Processor: Intel Core i7-6700, 3.4GHz
Memory: DDR4 16GB
Graphics: AMD Radeon R9 370 2GB
Storage: HDD 2TB
Optical Drive: DVD RW
Network: Integrated LAN 10/100/1000, Wireless LAN + Bluetooth
Power Supply Unit: I don't know the exact model but it says Delta, it's made by Delta Electronics Power (Dongguan) Co., Ltd. And it maxes out at 500 watts.
Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit.
Motherboard: M32CD_A_F_K20CD_K31CD (I used a Command Prompt to identify this, and I've tried to figure out more about it but I don't know how to interpret any of the information about my motherboard. So I don't know the specs beyond the model.)

If you have a processor with integrated graphics, which it looks like you have, you can connect the monitor to the motherboard's HDMI slot to see if that works, instead of the GPU's HDMI slot.

DDU stands for "display driver uninstaller" and it is a clean way to remove the old graphics drivers.

For the BIOS, when you restart the computer and "ASUS" comes up, you can press DEL to enter the BIOS configuration. Once inside, there should be a choice to "reset to default settings".

So the other person is suggesting to remove the AMD drivers with DDU. Then shutdown. Install the new GPU... then restart, enter the BIOS, set the BIOS to default settings, see if that works.

If it doesn't, you can try using the HDMI port on the motherboard to see if you can get any display from your processor.

Aug 21, 2021
If you have a processor with integrated graphics, which it looks like you have, you can connect the monitor to the motherboard's HDMI slot to see if that works, instead of the GPU's HDMI slot.

DDU stands for "display driver uninstaller" and it is a clean way to remove the old graphics drivers.

For the BIOS, when you restart the computer and "ASUS" comes up, you can press DEL to enter the BIOS configuration. Once inside, there should be a choice to "reset to default settings".

So the other person is suggesting to remove the AMD drivers with DDU. Then shutdown. Install the new GPU... then restart, enter the BIOS, set the BIOS to default settings, see if that works.

If it doesn't, you can try using the HDMI port on the motherboard to see if you can get any display from your processor.

My computer does have a second HDMI slot higher up, which I presume is the motherboard's HDMI slot. I just tried plugging my monitor into it and it won't display. Does that only work if I've already set my BIOS to default? Or is it supposed to work all the time and it's broken? Is there some option I need to toggle in order to activate it?

I would also like to confirm the order that I need to do things in, since I'm scared that if I mess up I'll make my computer unusable. Do I uninstall my drivers before or after configuring my BIOS? And if before, then do I configure my BIOS before or after inserting the new graphics card? JohnBonhamsGhost made it sound like I should configure before swapping parts, but you're making it sound like I should do it after. Maybe the order doesn't matter and I'm just being paranoid, but I want to make sure.

Aug 11, 2021

I would also like to confirm the order that I need to do things in, since I'm scared that if I mess up I'll make my computer unusable. Do I uninstall my drivers before or after configuring my BIOS? And if before, then do I configure my BIOS before or after inserting the new graphics card? JohnBonhamsGhost made it sound like I should configure before swapping parts, but you're making it sound like I should do it after. Maybe the order doesn't matter and I'm just being paranoid, but I want to make sure.

It should work all the time... the fact that it didn't work likely means its not a problem with your GPU (which is good), but it might be a BIOS issue or an issue with the AMD drivers, or something else with the way that Windows is trying to boot.

Uninstall the drivers first. You can update the BIOS before or after your install the new GPU.

Even after uninstalling the AMD drivers, if you needed to reinstall the AMD card, it should still work, it just wouldn't have optimized drivers, so it should not cause your computer to be unusable.

Solution
Aug 21, 2021
I just tried what you folks said about uninstalling the AMD drivers and setting the BIOS. I booted it up and it's working now. New drivers just finished installing. Thank you all so much, you're the best. Last question, will the new drivers start working right away, or do I have to restart my computer or change some settings?

Aug 11, 2021
I just tried what you folks said about uninstalling the AMD drivers and setting the BIOS. I booted it up and it's working now. New drivers just finished installing. Thank you all so much, you're the best. Last question, will the new drivers start working right away, or do I have to restart my computer or change some settings?
I'm glad it work out for you!

Generally when you install the drivers they begin working right away, unless it prompts you to restart. I think generally NVIDIA drivers at least do not normally require a restart.