Question My old Pentium 4 pc is stuck on this screen. How do I fix it?

Jun 23, 2021
Hello! I found an old PC of mine that hasn't been in use for a while. When I tried to turn it on, every component seems to be running fine but it's stuck on this screen saying "Intel Desktop Boards".
I don't really remember the specs except it has Pentium IV and an 80 GB HDD. The RAM doesn't say anything on it except for the brand (Kingston) and a bunch of random numbers. The motherboard's Model is Intel Desktop Board D845GLVA. I would like to know what problem my PC has and is there any possible way to fix it?

I've tried disconnecting the DVD ROM and HDD and tried booting it up but the same thing happened. Also, tried removing the RAM (only 1 stick) and booting it up and heard three beeps. Fixing RAM in different slots didn't seem to work either. I also tried clearing the passwords using the BIOS jumper and changed the CMOS battery too.

Thanks in advance!
p1bUGWO.jpg

This is probably the bios splash screen, it was a thing back then and is still being used today, it covers up all the "DOS" boot up text to make it look more modern.
Keep hitting the bios keys (F1, del, f12 whatever you remember from your youth) to get into bios and find the option to show you the boot screen.

Jun 23, 2021

Pimpom

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
I found in the user manual of my motherboard online that a USB keyboard will be supported inside the BIOS. I'll try that and update if it works once I get a wired keyboard.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/s...boards/845/D845GLVA/D845GLVA_TechProdSpec.pdf (Page 75)
Great. Many motherboards from that era didn't support USB keyboards and mice until the OS was loaded. Maybe legacy mode was not enabled by default in the BIOS, I don't remember.

This created a Catch-22 situation and made many experienced builders want to tear out their hair. I always kept a PS/2 kb & mouse handy. In fact, I still have a working Logitech PS/2 keyboard with me.

Jun 23, 2021
So I know it's been a while but when I tried a USB keyboard and PS/2 Keyboard, I couldn't get into the BIOS. Does that mean my motherboard is dead? If so, it shouldn't turn on, right? But I still get the same Intel Desktop Boards screen which I have attached in the first message which seems glitched at the bottom. Can anybody please tell me if it's because of a corrupted BIOS? I need to recover the data from my HDD but it's an IDE drive, not SATA and I couldn't find any IDE to USB convertors at a cheaper price. Also, I don't remember if it had a dedicated GPU or not but according to the motherboard's manual, it should have intel extreme graphics. Maybe that's why it doesn't POST?