[SOLVED] My PC Automatically Restarts While Playing Games and Videos

Jan 11, 2021
Recently I have bought the Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming MOBO and the Ryzen 7 5800x and a new 750 Watt Power Supply. After putting the new parts in my pc, I started to notice that my PC would automatically restart when I load up a game or in the middle of playing a game. The same thing would happen when I would try to watch Netflix, Hulu, and Disney+. I speculated that it was the drivers so I updated them for the Graphics Card, Motherboard, CPU Chipset and etc. With all the drivers updated it still kept restarting automatically. I tested the CPU by stress testing and benchmarking, and it works fine under load and didn’t restart during the process. The graphics card was also tested by benchmarking it, and it works fine under load and didn’t restart during the process. Afterwards, I suspected that it was RAM and then I tried a different set which did not fix the issue. I also ran a virus scan with Malwarebytes and no malware was found.

One thing to point out is that before installing the new parts, Everything was working fine and then now after installing the new parts it just kept restarting by itself.

Below is my before and current PC Parts:

————————————————————————
My PC Parts BEFORE the Problem:

CPU: Intel i7-7700k
GPU: Zotac RTX 2080 Super
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600MHz PC4-28800 CL18 (2 PACKS)
Motherboard: MSI Z270 Gaming M3
Cooler: NZXT Kraken x52 CPU cooler
PSU: EVGA 550 G3 Supernova Power Supply
Storage: Western Blue 1TB M.2
Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic Case
Fans: Asiahorse FS-9002 RGB Fans (5 Fans)
Cables: Asiahorse PSU Extension Cables

————————————————————————
My CURRENT PC Parts:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x
GPU: Zotac RTX 2080 Super
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600MHz PC4-28800 CL18 (2 PACKS)
Motherboard: ASUS B550-F ROG Strix Gaming AM4 ATX
Cooler: NZXT Kraken x73 CPU Cooler
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 GT 750 Watt 80 Plus Gold ATX Fully Modular Power Supply
Storage: Western Blue 1TB M.2
Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic Case
Fans: Asiahorse FS-9002 RGB Fans (9 Fans)
Cables: Asiahorse PSU Extension Cables
Cables: Lian Li Strimer Plus Cables

————————————————————————

I’m Running out of ideas so if you have a solution that can fix my issue, that would be greatly appreciated!! :)

Solution
I'm still convinced that reboot is caused by 12V brownout. There is still two things you can do:
  1. Run GPU in lower power demand profile just to check are reboots are still happening. I mean - install MSI Afterburner and set GPU undervolting by default. Instruction here.
  2. Even better, if you can borrow some good 850+W PSU (from PSU tier list A or B tier) and check how your system with it.
On success use your GPU in slightly undervolted mode or get good 850+W PSU. If it does not help, replace GPU.

By the way there is another "magical reboot" case thread with 2080 card. Turned out that owner after upgrade used old 750W PSU cables with new 1000W PSU (can't imagine why, but people are weird...
Jan 11, 2021
Going between Intel and AMD based MOBOs require clean system eq. Windows reinstall. You will get smacked by Windows license system after MOBO change anyway, so don't hesitate to reinstall OS. So backup your files and reinstall Windows.
I didn't do a fresh install of windows after upgrading but I just did now and it still restarting when I try to watch a show or load up a game. :(

Maybe temporary disable that truckload of RGB lights over your PC case (yes, those rainbow unicorn case fans too) and then try to game again. On success (no spurious reboots anymore) ditch RGB or get more powerful PSU.

If reboots are still present, in open advanced system settings (may find that in search box). Under "Startup and Recovery" settings uncheck "Automatically restart". Reboot and game again. On next poof write down error code (error screen photo is OK too) and post here.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2021
Maybe temporary disable that truckload of RGB lights over your PC case (yes, those rainbow unicorn case fans too) and then try to game again. On success (no spurious reboots anymore) ditch RGB or get more powerful PSU.

If reboots are still present, in open advanced system settings (may find that in search box). Under "Startup and Recovery" settings uncheck "Automatically restart". Reboot and game again. On next poof write down error code (error screen photo is OK too) and post here.
I disabled all the RGB and it still didn't work. I also searched up "advanced system settings" and turned off "Automatically restart" and then rebooted my pc, which also didn't work when I try to play a game. When my pc restarts it doesn't give a error code.

I'm still convinced that reboot is caused by 12V brownout. There is still two things you can do:
  1. Run GPU in lower power demand profile just to check are reboots are still happening. I mean - install MSI Afterburner and set GPU undervolting by default. Instruction here.
  2. Even better, if you can borrow some good 850+W PSU (from PSU tier list A or B tier) and check how your system with it.
On success use your GPU in slightly undervolted mode or get good 850+W PSU. If it does not help, replace GPU.

By the way there is another "magical reboot" case thread with 2080 card. Turned out that owner after upgrade used old 750W PSU cables with new 1000W PSU (can't imagine why, but people are weird sometimes). Old cables was obviously too thin so brownouts happened again. In end he sorted out his mess by himself.

Fiorezy

Notable
Jul 3, 2020
I am not sure which tools you used to stress and monitor your system as 100% CPU load with 3.4 GHz clock speed at 44c temp is unreal, your CPU should be at a much higher clock and higher temperature than what you are getting when it is stressed, the same goes with the GPU.

In this case, we are not sure what the real temperature is when under stress, so would you please monitor the CPU with Ryzen Master and stress it with something like CPU-Z or Cinebench R20, also please use RTSS to monitor your hardware in real time when gaming.

Jan 11, 2021

By the way there is another "magical reboot" case thread with 2080 card. Turned out that owner after upgrade used old 750W PSU cables with new 1000W PSU (can't imagine why, but people are weird sometimes). Old cables was obviously too thin so brownouts happened again. In end he sorted out his mess by himself.
I figured out the issue that was occurring this problem. The BIOS needed an update so I did a BIOS Flashback to the latest release and I also reinstall windows since new major hardware was switched out. Thank you for your help :)

Solution
Jan 11, 2021
I am not sure which tools you used to stress and monitor your system as 100% CPU load with 3.4 GHz clock speed at 44c temp is unreal, your CPU should be at a much higher clock and higher temperature than what you are getting when it is stressed, the same goes with the GPU.

In this case, we are not sure what the real temperature is when under stress, so would you please monitor the CPU with Ryzen Master and stress it with something like CPU-Z or Cinebench R20, also please use RTSS to monitor your hardware in real time when gaming.
I figured out the issue that was occurring this problem. The BIOS needed an update so I did a BIOS Flashback to the latest release and I also reinstall windows since new major hardware was switched out. Thank you for your help :)