Status
Not open for further replies.

KarlKarrlander

Honorable
May 7, 2015
Hey,

Quick question:
Looking to film videos on educational topics (sitting at a desk talking into a camera) in either 4k or FHD quality, but I'm unsure that my PC build will handle the editing workload.
The programs I might end up using is not determined yet, but I'm interested in Lightworks, Da vinci and Openshot.

Build:
i5 4670k, 8 GB RAM DDR3, GTX 970, 128 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD

I did a test edit and the playback is very lagging bad so I'm pretty sure I'll need to upgrade to a better setup, just want to make sure before go ahead and buy the following:
Ryzen 7 3700x, 32 GB 3200 mhz RAM, and a new motherboard to support ddr4.

Thanks! :)

Solution
im not sure why that one guy is harping that rzyen is hot. i run a rzyen 7 2700 on stock cooler flat out and warm room and never got over 80c. if you get the wraith it might be a little warm but the stock big one is fine. 3200 speed ram with decent latency works just fine for me also. i figure transcoding a movie should be some what equal to rendering your vids after editing. with stock cooler i ran the cpu flat out for nearly a week and i think i peaked at 82C. but mostly sat happily around 77-79C

i run this below to transcode and not an issue yet. yes there are faster systems but it can do a movie overnight.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 3.2 GHz 8-Core Processor
Thermal Compound: Arctic...

dimtodim

Reputable
Hey,

Quick question:
Looking to film videos on educational topics (sitting at a desk talking into a camera) in either 4k or FHD quality, but I'm unsure that my PC build will handle the editing workload.
The programs I might end up using is not determined yet, but I'm interested in Lightworks, Da vinci and Openshot.

Build:

I did a test edit and the playback is very lagging bad so I'm pretty sure I'll need to upgrade to a better setup, just want to make sure before go ahead and buy the following:

What is your budget?

dimtodim

Reputable
Anything really but if I can keep the cost to around $500-700 then I'd be happy. I'll I need to do is upgrade my current custom PC and the components I'll need are: motherboard, ram and cpu

But do you really need to record in 4k if you're just doing simple educational videos for Youtube?
i think personal its fine enough 1080p...u can check statistic many people even dont have 4k monitors or tv...
Ryzen 7 3700x, 32 GB 3200 mhz RAM, and a new motherboard to support ddr4 u cant buy all for 700...u need good pc case with airflow, good cpu cooler, good psu and gpu... u cant ignore other component in system...ryzen is hot cpu and u must keep cool him...with stock cooler u will get nothing in your video editing...

Jun 24, 2020
Hey,

Quick question:

Build:

I suggest that you upgrade your video card to GTX 1660 super, since you need at least a midrange video card to render videos fast.

InvalidError

Titan
A potato can do video editing, provided you are sufficiently patient. I've done hours of video editing on my i5-3470, just got to be patient on those several hours long encodes or go do something else while they are chugging along.

At the complete opposite end of the spectrum, there is ThreadRipper 39xx.

KarlKarrlander

Honorable
May 7, 2015
A potato can do video editing, provided you are sufficiently patient. I've done hours of video editing on my i5-3470, just got to be patient on those several hours long encodes or go do something else while they are chugging along.

At the complete opposite end of the spectrum, there is ThreadRipper 39xx.

Thanks for the reply (and everyone else of course).
I recorded a few test videos of me sitting at my desk just talking into the camera (basically the same premise as when I'll record the real thing) in 1080p and the quality is good enough to begin with at least.

I realize that 4k is preferred but most people that will watch this will most likely be on a mobile device where 1080p is default.

I then tried editing the video in both Openshot and Lightworks and while the playback may have been a little slow at some points, the overall experience was good enough.

But I'm definitely going to upgrade in the near future, so will take everyone's tips into consideration :)

Flashgo1

Reputable
Mar 11, 2016
im not sure why that one guy is harping that rzyen is hot. i run a rzyen 7 2700 on stock cooler flat out and warm room and never got over 80c. if you get the wraith it might be a little warm but the stock big one is fine. 3200 speed ram with decent latency works just fine for me also. i figure transcoding a movie should be some what equal to rendering your vids after editing. with stock cooler i ran the cpu flat out for nearly a week and i think i peaked at 82C. but mostly sat happily around 77-79C

i run this below to transcode and not an issue yet. yes there are faster systems but it can do a movie overnight.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 3.2 GHz 8-Core Processor
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5 g Thermal Paste ($6.05 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock X470 Taichi ATX AM4 Motherboard ($349.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Team Dark Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL14 Memory ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($79.00 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($88.79 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($88.79 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 580 8 GB ARMOR OC Video Card ($208.87 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($249.88 @ Amazon)
Monitor: LG 34UM69G-B 34.0" 2560x1080 75 Hz Monitor (Purchased For $0.00)
Mouse: Logitech G602 Wireless Optical Mouse (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $1378.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-19 20:04 EDT-0400

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.