Question My PC does not turn on, is it the CPU? (Only shows life with Q-Flash+)

Yozuru

Honorable
Jun 12, 2016
Hello beautiful folks, hope everyone is well!

So I had helped out a friend with building his a computer, everything worked for a little over a month until one day the PC no longer wants to boot when the power button is pressed. Please see below for the complete build:

Below are some more details:

Overall details:
1) PC will only power on briefly/show lights when Q-Flash+ button is pressed. Pressing the power button on the MB or the computer case does not do anything.
*** CPU error light on the MB shows briefly once this is done.
  1. Only light that shows up is the power button on the MB.
  2. Ruled out the RAM, MB, and PSU are not the issues.

Solutions Tried:
  1. RMA the motherboard, board was determined to be fine and had no issues. Gigabyte even sent a picture of the board with the SN in working condition.
  2. This stickied guide has been followed: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...deo-output-troubleshooting-checklist.1285536/ (no luck unfortunately)
  3. Have the board on a cardboard box incase it was sorting, only have the power cables from PSU onto there.
  4. Boot the PC without the CPU, does not turn on.
  5. Removed all the wires except the power cables to the MB, no startup still when hitting the power button on the board itself.
  6. Removed the CMOS battery, for 5-10 mins, put it back in.
  7. Moved around the ram sticks, tried 1 ram stick.
  8. Tried to power on the MB with another PSU that is confirmed to be working, no luck.
  9. Tried jumping MB with a screwdriver.
  10. Flashing the BIOS with Q-Flash+ using this guide: https://glennsqlperformance.com/2020/12/22/how-to-flash-a-gigabyte-motherboard-with-q-flash-plus/
---

As of now, the only thing I can think of is it's the CPU? Do I have a dead one that's causing this issue? Usually I would imagine a PC will always boot and give error messages for RAM, CPU on the board itself. But I am not getting those lights? The only time I can boot the PC briefly is with Q-Flash+, the lights and fanturn on, but turns off shortly afterwards (I know its used to flash the BIOS, but I find it really weird it doesn't work)

Would love some folks inputs on what to do next, I'm planning to RMA the CPU next. Thanks so much for your time in advance!

Cem Goker

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2013
Really sounds like a CPU issue to me. Excellent way to troubleshoot the way you did by the way. If the hard drive was at fault, you would have been greeted by the BIOS screen. If it was RAM, you would have seen the motherboard debug code or LED indicator. The PSUs you tried on that motherboard still show the same result so it can't be that. Maybe you can try checking the motherboard for any bent pins on the CPU socket? If there aren't any, then just go ahead and RMA the CPU as it's likely the culprit.

Reactions: Yozuru

Christophe516

Prominent
May 2, 2022
Really sounds like a CPU issue to me. Excellent way to troubleshoot the way you did by the way. If the hard drive was at fault, you would have been greeted by the BIOS screen. If it was RAM, you would have seen the motherboard debug code or LED indicator. The PSUs you tried on that motherboard still show the same result so it can't be that. Maybe you can try checking the motherboard for any bent pins on the CPU socket? If there aren't any, then just go ahead and RMA the CPU as it's likely the culprit.
Yozuru, I would agree with Cem Goker's reply, except. When you RMA'd the motherboard, did you remove the CPU before you sent the motherboard back? Because, If you didn't. The response to your RMA, would include the CPU. Meaning the motherboard and CPU are good.

Reactions: Yozuru
Hello beautiful folks, hope everyone is well!

So I had helped out a friend with building his a computer, everything worked for a little over a month until one day the PC no longer wants to boot when the power button is pressed. Please see below for the complete build:

Below are some more details:

Overall details:
1) PC will only power on briefly/show lights when Q-Flash+ button is pressed. Pressing the power button on the MB or the computer case does not do anything.
*** CPU error light on the MB shows briefly once this is done.
  1. Only light that shows up is the power button on the MB.
  2. Ruled out the RAM, MB, and PSU are not the issues.
Solutions Tried:
  1. RMA the motherboard, board was determined to be fine and had no issues. Gigabyte even sent a picture of the board with the SN in working condition.
  2. This stickied guide has been followed: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...deo-output-troubleshooting-checklist.1285536/ (no luck unfortunately)
  3. Have the board on a cardboard box incase it was sorting, only have the power cables from PSU onto there.
  4. Boot the PC without the CPU, does not turn on.
  5. Removed all the wires except the power cables to the MB, no startup still when hitting the power button on the board itself.
  6. Removed the CMOS battery, for 5-10 mins, put it back in.
  7. Moved around the ram sticks, tried 1 ram stick.
  8. Tried to power on the MB with another PSU that is confirmed to be working, no luck.
  9. Tried jumping MB with a screwdriver.
  10. Flashing the BIOS with Q-Flash+ using this guide: https://glennsqlperformance.com/2020/12/22/how-to-flash-a-gigabyte-motherboard-with-q-flash-plus/
---

As of now, the only thing I can think of is it's the CPU? Do I have a dead one that's causing this issue? Usually I would imagine a PC will always boot and give error messages for RAM, CPU on the board itself. But I am not getting those lights? The only time I can boot the PC briefly is with Q-Flash+, the lights and fanturn on, but turns off shortly afterwards (I know its used to flash the BIOS, but I find it really weird it doesn't work)

Would love some folks inputs on what to do next, I'm planning to RMA the CPU next. Thanks so much for your time in advance!

10:1 CPU issue, but your motherboard has a 2 digital diagnostic code in the upper right. It will flash a number telling you what stage it gets stuck in during the bootup process.

Feb 15, 2023
I have the same problem with the same MB + CPU + RAM + 850W Seasonic TX.
It was able to start with the button on the board some time, but the DRAM led is red and I got the 50 error code.
After some try + Q-FLASH to the F5 version, it started once. Til I'm not able to start the MB, however, it starts if I press the Q-FLASH.

what was the solution in the end?

Last edited: