[SOLVED] My pc has been crashing whenever there is some load on the GPU like benchmark and games. Can someone help me with this.

Nov 23, 2020
Ryzen 5 2400g
GTX 1660 Amp (Zotac)
16gb 2400hz ram (dual channel)
450w Thermaltake litepower psu
My psu has 1, 8 pin connector and 1, 6 pin connector, but my computer parts vendor has connected the GPU using an adapter which converts 2 lp4 4 pin connector to a 8 pin connector. Is it this causing the problem, or that ram is not enough or is my cpu not supporting the GPU, or shud I just buy a new psu which has 2, 8 pin connectors.

Solution
It could be, just take out the adapter there's no point of using it since your PSU already has a 6 pin connecter for your 1660 since it requires a 6 pin connecter. If your system still fails when over load it's not your gpu but your PSU causing this issue. Most likely its not sending enough power for your system when under load causing it to be unstable.

I’m unsure what year the thermaltake litepower you have. If you have the one with the grey and white label that’s thermaltakes remodel which is decent, but many people pointed out that it’s not the greatest quality. If you have the older model then that’s the issue.

okjak808

Honorable
Feb 23, 2018
It could be, just take out the adapter there's no point of using it since your PSU already has a 6 pin connecter for your 1660 since it requires a 6 pin connecter. If your system still fails when over load it's not your gpu but your PSU causing this issue. Most likely its not sending enough power for your system when under load causing it to be unstable.

I’m unsure what year the thermaltake litepower you have. If you have the one with the grey and white label that’s thermaltakes remodel which is decent, but many people pointed out that it’s not the greatest quality. If you have the older model then that’s the issue.

Reactions: SamarthMN
Solution
Nov 23, 2020

Thanks for the information, really helpful, I was so scared that I would spoil my pc. Thanks for the info, I am thinking of changing the psu right away to Corsair CV 550 .

okjak808

Honorable
Feb 23, 2018
Thanks for the information, really helpful, I was so scared that I would spoil my pc. Thanks for the info, I am thinking of changing the psu right away to Corsair CV 550 .
So it seems like you have the remodeled version of it. I don’t know much about AMD’s cpu, but it has a integrated graphics, you could try and test your system without the GPU to see if your Pc still crashes.

Also make sure to test your system first without the adapter that the store provided you to see if your pc still fails under load.

DSzymborski

Titan
If the OP had the more recent Litepower 450W, the OP would have two 6+2 PCIE connectors which it comes with.

Sounds like the old one, which was absolutely atrocious. The only thing that should be connected to this PSU is the conveyer belt at the local recycling plant.

SlavfromBulgaria

Commendable
Apr 29, 2020
Ryzen 5 2400g
GTX 1660 Amp (Zotac)
16gb 2400hz ram (dual channel)
450w Thermaltake litepower psu
My psu has 1, 8 pin connector and 1, 6 pin connector, but my computer parts vendor has connected the GPU using an adapter which converts 2 lp4 4 pin connector to a 8 pin connector. Is it this causing the problem, or that ram is not enough or is my cpu not supporting the GPU, or shud I just buy a new psu which has 2, 8 pin connectors.
Hello!
That PSU is one of the lowest tiers and is recommended only for iGPU powered systems (check LTT forums) as I think you had done with that Ryzen 5 2400G. You are running on thin ice and my advice is to get your hands on a PSU (from a friend, etc.) just to be sure before spending any money. Adapters make it even worse. I wouldn't run a GPU like that on a 450W PSU that doesn't even have 80+ rating. For reference, I'm running my RX 570 on a 750W 80+ PSU, but I had a GTX 580 before in my PC and the 580 ran without issues. When I upgraded, I sold the GTX 580 to a guy, explaining that the GTX 580 is very power hungry and needs a good PSU to run. The guy was like yeah, whatever, recommend me a PSU, but didn't want to spend more than 30 EUR on a PSU. Then he said he had the PSU situation fixed and a day later after shipping I get angry messages asking for a refund because it couldn't even launch a YouTube video without crashing. Corona situation got worse and he couldn't ship it back to me, so he sold it as a not working GTX 580 - someone got a free gift. I still don't understand why people overlook their PSU's. It's not the smartest thing to do, since you could have a timebomb in your house.