[SOLVED] My PC is the only device being limited to 250Mbps down and up. How to fix?

Oxicoi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2017
I recently noticed that for some reason my PC is only able to go up to 250mbps. A technician came over yesterday and told me the Ethernet cable was not the issue. So I contacted my ASUS about my mobo and they said it could be bad LAN hardware. Though I asked them if I could get a network card and they said that would work.

Here I am a day later, I received the network card, got the drivers from the site (which I assume to be the latest) and I am still limited.

I'm very confused as it can not be the motherboard now. Would it be software or driver related? How do I fix this?

Solution
It is most likely some software which is why I recommend you test with iperf. It is a very simple program that is not affected by cpu/memory etc.

You can try the brute force approach and boot a linux usb image which will eliminate microsoft as the cause.
It was something software related which is what I knew, though I wouldn't know what it could be. Reinstalling Win10 was the fix for me because it was a fresh start. Not to mention the May 2020 update is being put out and for some reason my computer "was not ready" for it, even though it has great hardware.

I could not get iPerf to work, it always kept saying it was too busy or whatever. Reinstalling everything worked for me. I have everything on different storage drives...
Make sure you do not have any of that gamer network stuff loaded. Asus bundles it with some motherboards.

You can test the network hardware and the drivers with a program called IPERF. You would transfer between 2 machines in your house. You should see 900+mbps in both direction.

You can also try simple file transfers between machines in your house. Transfer very large files and watch the rates in the resource monitor network tab

Oxicoi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2017
Make sure you do not have any of that gamer network stuff loaded. Asus bundles it with some motherboards.

You can test the network hardware and the drivers with a program called IPERF. You would transfer between 2 machines in your house. You should see 900+mbps in both direction.

You can also try simple file transfers between machines in your house. Transfer very large files and watch the rates in the resource monitor network tab
The ASUS mobo did automatically come with Armoury Crate, which is what you're probably talking about. Could I like somehow revert or delete the drivers and install it all fresh?

Mobo: STRIX X570-E Gaming ASUS
Router: AT&T U-Verse Model 5268ACFXN

EDIT: Network Card - RC-411v3 (Rosewill Network Card)
I think its the router, can u check ur internet using a wireless usb adapter and check the speeds on the pc... if i remember correctly i came across one thread a long time back with the same issue on this router and reseting it fixed the issue...

Oxicoi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2017
I think its the router, can u check ur internet using a wireless usb adapter and check the speeds on the pc... if i remember correctly i came across one thread a long time back with the same issue on this router and reseting it fixed the issue...
The technician already confirmed it's not the router. My phone can go to 300mbps wirelessly.

Oxicoi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2017
Armoury Crate is ok it the software is called gamer first or something. Yours may not have it.
I don't have that.

I just reinstalled the drivers and that did nothing either. So could it actually be the mobo, even after getting a new network card?

EDIT: I'm gonna try reinstalling Win10 as a whole just to alleviate all software issues.

Last edited:
Let's first confirm that the hardware/network is working okay--boot up a linux live cd/usb and make sure you get full speeds via both connections. If one works, but the other doesn't, one may still be bad or something else is marginal that may cause issues.

Oxicoi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2017
It is most likely some software which is why I recommend you test with iperf. It is a very simple program that is not affected by cpu/memory etc.

You can try the brute force approach and boot a linux usb image which will eliminate microsoft as the cause.
It was something software related which is what I knew, though I wouldn't know what it could be. Reinstalling Win10 was the fix for me because it was a fresh start. Not to mention the May 2020 update is being put out and for some reason my computer "was not ready" for it, even though it has great hardware.

I could not get iPerf to work, it always kept saying it was too busy or whatever. Reinstalling everything worked for me. I have everything on different storage drives other than the OS anyway.

Thanks for all the support and responses!

Solution