Question My PC keeps crashing, below are the symptoms and specs:

May 13, 2019
So basically my PC keeps crashing whenever I play a game whether it's Minecraft or Mortal Kombat. The whole display freezes and I cannot move my mouse or use my keyboard. Please help? It's been doing this for months. I'm pretty sure all my drivers are up to date and I've checked to see if it's the motherboard or HDD/SSD and it's neither.

SPECS:
CPU: AMD FX-9590 @ 4.7GHz
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2
GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 ROG Strix Gaming OC 6GB GDDR5
Motherboard:ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
Power Supply: Cooler Master at 1200 Watts I think
RAM: Not sure but its DDR3 at 800MHz I think (Speccy just says this: 16.0GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 803MHz (11-11-11-28))

Ralston18

Titan
Any signs of overheating? Temperatures - fan speeds?

Things you can do:

Power down, unplug, and open the case. Verify that all components, plugs, jumpers, etc. are fully and firmly in place. Ensure that all fans are running and that there are no airflow blockages.

Look in Event Viewer and Reliability History/Manager for error codes and warnings.

Especially any that precede or occur at the time of the crashes.

You can also use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance.

Could be some bottleneck that develops as you play.

May 13, 2019
Any signs of overheating? Temperatures - fan speeds?

Things you can do:

Power down, unplug, and open the case. Verify that all components, plugs, jumpers, etc. are fully and firmly in place. Ensure that all fans are running and that there are no airflow blockages.

Look in Event Viewer and Reliability History/Manager for error codes and warnings.

Especially any that precede or occur at the time of the crashes.

You can also use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance.

Could be some bottleneck that develops as you play.
The CPU seems to be reaching quite high since I switched motherboards, probably due to small amount of thermal paste I reapplied but it was fine before and it still crashed. I've looked in event viewer but aren't those errors normal? I've used Task manager on my second monitor and all the system performances seemed to be fine.

Ralston18

Titan
"The CPU seems to be reaching quite high since I switched motherboards, probably due to small amount of thermal paste I reapplied but it was fine before and it still crashed."

It may have been fine before - point is that it is not "fine" now. Thermal paste could indeed be the problem with respect to quantity and/or quality.

As for Event Viewer there are always some number of errors that are normal and routine. However, those errors are usually dealt with by the OS and fixed on the fly. The errors that are not or cannot be fixed cause crashes, lagging, who knows what....

Three general classifications: error codes, warnings, and informational events., All are important to look at. And many are indeed quite vague and outright confusing, Once you identify any particular occurrence that correlates with the crashes then you can google for more information.

Reliability History/Manager is not as cumbersome and may help discover the problem based on the timeline format.

You do need to find multiple sources to verify any suspect situations. And be wary of any "we can fix anything" type solutions or installed software. Those applications, utilities, etc. will show up no matter what the problem may truly be.