[SOLVED] My PC keeps disconnecting keyboard, mouse and monitor

Jun 25, 2020
3 or 4 days ago i sat down to use my pc as normal but when i nudged my mouse the monitor didn't wake up. I tried my keyboard and still nothing i turned on and off my monitor and it said no signal eventually had to turn on and off my power strip and when it booted back up everything was fine. this has happened about once every day since the first time it occurred i've had my pc for about 5 years now and haven't had any problems like this. the pc is an alienware X51 R3 running windows 10 that has mostly all of the parts it came with besides 16 gb ddr4 ram and a 1660 ti inside of an alienware graphics amplifier that i got at the beginning of the year. any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Solution
I just managed to catch what was happening when the problem occurred it had nothing to do with what i expected it to be. it had nothing to do with my PC being in sleep mode it just happened to occur when it was in sleep mode. the real culprit was Dell support assist whenever it did an automatic scan it froze my entire computer up for some reason I went ahead and disabled it so it won't happen again.
Jun 25, 2020
Check your Power Settings in Windows. Also check "Power On By Mouse/Keyboard" settings in the BIOS.

I have already ruled down that it isn't in sleep mode and just to be sure I checked those settings and there were no problems with them. Some more details of what keeps happening is at first glance it looks like its on sleep mode, pc leds are off and so is the one on the amplifier, and my mouse and keyboard lights are on. on further inspection if I unplug the mouse and keyboard and plug them back in there is no power or indication there is power going to them as oppose to the leds on them being on. also when i look at the computer tower the hard disc light is completely solid suggesting the disc is running at 100% and the power indicator light on the power button is on and that is it. Also when i plug in my headphones and microphone those still work accordingly so its still on and working I just cant use the monitor, keyboard and mouse. could it potentially be an issue with the power supply or motherboard?

Jun 25, 2020
Have you checked your "Universal Serial Bus controllers" in Device Manager?
I just did and checked all of my USB devices which it says are working properly and the drivers are up to date as of this month. I have a slight suspicion this might coincide with the latest windows update as many issues i have do.

I just did and checked all of my USB devices which it says are working properly and the drivers are up to date as of this month. I have a slight suspicion this might coincide with the latest windows update as many issues i have do.
You can go to "PC Settings > Update & Security > View update history > Feature Updates" to check the exact date your version of Windows was installed.

Jun 25, 2020
I just looked and i'm still on feature update 1909 instead of 2004 and its in the process of downloading right now so once that's all done and installed i'll see if that's done anything and if not i'll come back here or try my other options.

Jun 25, 2020
Yeah I always have that in mind before any big updates in case anything goes wrong. I'm going to wait and see what happens after this over night.

Jun 25, 2020
So far that certain problem hasn't occurred, so the update may have fixed it? I did have some other minor problems pop up that i've fixed before that aren't that big of a deal but i'm not exactly sure what caused the first problem in the first place and i don't think i will know if it just goes away without a trace after this update.

Jun 25, 2020
exact same problem is back i'm considering a clean reinstall of windows. i don't know why it would've came back after such a long time without it happening

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2020
I just managed to catch what was happening when the problem occurred it had nothing to do with what i expected it to be. it had nothing to do with my PC being in sleep mode it just happened to occur when it was in sleep mode. the real culprit was Dell support assist whenever it did an automatic scan it froze my entire computer up for some reason I went ahead and disabled it so it won't happen again.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS