[SOLVED] My PC keeps freezing with a buzzing sound whenever I play games

Jul 5, 2020
In early March, this year, I purchased a new gaming PC. Along with the store, I chose my components and parts and they put it together for me.

But the thing is, it keeps freezing whenever I play games. The type of freeze where everything stops, and a strange loud buzzing sound accompanies it (although not always and sometimes the buzzing starts and stops).

Initially I thought it was only with Assassin's Creed Odyssey (attributing it to some kind of lack of compatibility or bug the game had) but it's been happening more and more with literally every game.

What's weird is that it seems to happen more with games that demand more processing power, such as AC or GTA5, while other games like Hearts of Iron 4 do not freeze as often.
The freezes might happen 30 seconds into the game or 1 hour, but it always happens.

I have tried updating all the drivers, re-installing the nvidia driver, manually updating to the most recent windows version, cleaning up temp files and corrupt files, nothing has worked.

My specs are as follows:
  • Processor: Intel core i9 9900 F 8 Core
  • Motherboard: MSI MAG Z390 TOMAHAWK
  • Graphics card: Asus GeForce RTX 2080
  • CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S
  • Ram: 32GB (16x2)
  • Power Source: Modular Corsair RM 750x 80+ Gold
It also seems that the computer is overheating more than it should. If I place my hand on the back-side (on top of the fan) or on the side of the case (in the glass) it's quite hot.

I've contacted the store and they'll obviously look at it and uphold the warranty, but due to the pandemic they require several weeks before they can get to it. I can't really afford to leave it there because I also use it for work on a daily basis.

So on the off-chance that this is just a software/driver issue that I could fix with your expertise, I thought I'd give it a try and ask you for advice.

Solution
Can you localise where the sound is coming from?

A couple of things you can check, make sure all the cables are in properly, especially the CPU power cables that go top left, the GPU PCIe power cables. Run Prime95 or Cinebench R20 and see what max temps it hits.

If the temps are too high or it just freezes, it could be the CPU cooler is not on properly and I would re-install the cooler with new thermal paste.

Also you have not mentioned the case name and model and it would be good to know your airflow setup.

Finally if that fails, I think it might be the PSU but hopefully others better than me can jump in with more suggestions.
Can you localise where the sound is coming from?

A couple of things you can check, make sure all the cables are in properly, especially the CPU power cables that go top left, the GPU PCIe power cables. Run Prime95 or Cinebench R20 and see what max temps it hits.

If the temps are too high or it just freezes, it could be the CPU cooler is not on properly and I would re-install the cooler with new thermal paste.

Also you have not mentioned the case name and model and it would be good to know your airflow setup.

Finally if that fails, I think it might be the PSU but hopefully others better than me can jump in with more suggestions.

Solution