[SOLVED] My PC randomly freezes on startup ?

Jun 21, 2021
As the title says, usually my PC gets frozen randomly (usually at random interval of few minutes after startup), and I have to do a hard restart.

Normally this would only occur once every time I started up my PC. But today, after a hard restart from the freeze and using my computer for a few hours, it suddenly just froze again.

I'm really not sure what happened, I've updated my Windows, graphic cards, done SFC scan, DISM, memory tests, used Tron, and none of it helped at all. At most it just helped for a while before the same issue happens again. It's very annoying and frustrating. I require some help here so at least I know what to do next.

Here's my specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7 6700 @ 3.40GHz Skylake 14nm Technology
RAM: 16.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1063MHz
Motherboard: MSI H170 GAMING M3 (MS-7978) (U3E1)
GPU: C27F390 (1920x1080@60Hz)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti (Gigabyte)
PSU: SeaSonic M12II 620 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Storage: 931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-00WN4A0 (SATA )
223GB Crucial CT240BX200SSD1 (SATA (SSD))

Last edited:
Solution
I've updated my Windows, graphic cards, done SFC scan, DISM, memory tests, used Tron, and none of it helped at all.

Software wise, there is at least 1 more thing to do, which will fix all software issues, and that is clean Win install.

It is easier to wipe it all and start afresh, rather trying to figure out what causes the freezes.

If, even after clean Win install (which includes formatting C:/ drive) the issue still remains, then we can look towards hardware issues.

A good PSU. However, at this date and time, it is way too old. 1st released back in 2009.

I also have Seasonic M12II EVO series PSU, but mine is 850W. I retired my...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I've updated my Windows, graphic cards, done SFC scan, DISM, memory tests, used Tron, and none of it helped at all.

Software wise, there is at least 1 more thing to do, which will fix all software issues, and that is clean Win install.

It is easier to wipe it all and start afresh, rather trying to figure out what causes the freezes.

If, even after clean Win install (which includes formatting C:/ drive) the issue still remains, then we can look towards hardware issues.

A good PSU. However, at this date and time, it is way too old. 1st released back in 2009.

I also have Seasonic M12II EVO series PSU, but mine is 850W. I retired my trusty workhorse back in December of 2020, and replaced it with Seasonic PRIME Ultra 650 (80+ Titanium) aka TX-650. M12II-850 EVO powered my Haswell build (full specs with pics in my sig).

So, if there would be any hardware issue, i'd retire PSU and go with new one. Here, you don't have to go all out, like i did and get PRIME. Instead Focus+ series from Seasonic is also good PSU to use (i have Focus+ series powering my AMD build).

Solution
Jun 21, 2021

I also have Seasonic M12II EVO series PSU, but mine is 850W. I retired my trusty workhorse back in December of 2020, and replaced it with Seasonic PRIME Ultra 650 (80+ Titanium) aka TX-650. M12II-850 EVO powered my Haswell build (full specs with pics in my sig).

So, if there would be any hardware issue, i'd retire PSU and go with new one. Here, you don't have to go all out, like i did and get PRIME. Instead Focus+ series from Seasonic is also good PSU to use (i have Focus+ series powering my AMD build).

Thank you for the solutions 😀

Somehow, I managed to figure out that it's probably due to some drivers issue, so far the freezing issue has been fixed. But I'll monitor accordingly for now, if it's not going anywhere, I'll do a clean Windows install as you suggested.

As for the upgrade, I thank you for that too! I've been considering to upgrade my pc for quite sometime, and seems like you have helped me to start somewhere. I was also worried if my psu might be giving any issues, and now that you mentioned it's relatively old, perhaps when I have the resource to do it, it's gonna be one of the first few things in my list.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Just saying, but there are more good brands when it comes to psu's, there's not only Seasonic.

not updated, but still relevant.

It's btw good to see you seem to have solved your problem.

Jun 21, 2021
Just saying, but there are more good brands when it comes to psu's, there's not only Seasonic.

not updated, but still relevant.

It's btw good to see you seem to have solved your problem.
Please, do not hesitate to hold back. I'd really appreciate if you do share with me some of your recommendations, as I'm not really that up-to-date with hardware. I built this system around 2016, since then, I've not touched anything else on hardware or upgrades, perhaps till now.