My PC reboots when I try to play a game!!!

Cosmo_3

Prominent
Aug 2, 2017
My pc always reboots whenever I play a game, sometimes I can play for several hours, sometimes for 1 minute. My temps are pretty good, 25-30 idle and max 60 under load. What could it be?

Solution
Well I'd still say the part to try first would be the PSU. Seeing the PC just go off like that is most consistent with the protection circuits in there tripping.

The stress tests done focus on just CPU or GPU but might not stress the whole system at once in the same way. So as an educated guess, in order of likelihood - PSU, then GPU, then motherboard.

Cosmo_3

Prominent
Aug 2, 2017
MSI 990x Motherboard
AMD FX-8320 8-core CPU
R9 380 4gb GPU
780w psu (don't know which one)
1tb HDD

OK. The PSU should have plenty of capacity for that system but often what's of more importance is the quality of it's components and construction. It would be helpful if you could report the make and model. Either way, it's tougher to test fully without other parts.

My initial guess was based on the high load playing a game puts on the system. To put a load on the CPU without a game try a burn-in test like Prime95. It's just a small utility which runs a highly intensive mathematical calculation on the CPU to load it to 100%. This won't load the GPU but can rule out a couple of possibilities. Run it at high settings for an extended time.

Beyond this (assuming the first test passes), the most straightforward and certain way to go is to try other parts. For gaming the first parts to try would be PSU and GPU. See if you could get the help of a gamer friend to do this.

Cosmo_3

Prominent
Aug 2, 2017
I have ran all the stress tests on all components whilst watching the temps, everything is fine and nothing goes above 70c. My PC doesnt reboot when stress testing, only when actually gaming..

Cosmo_3

Prominent
Aug 2, 2017
memtest no, windows yes. It ranges from Paladins to Players Unknown Battlegrounds. I have the settings turned down to medium on these games also, even on low it reboots..

Cosmo_3

Prominent
Aug 2, 2017

Straight off, no warnings or error messages

Well I'd still say the part to try first would be the PSU. Seeing the PC just go off like that is most consistent with the protection circuits in there tripping.

The stress tests done focus on just CPU or GPU but might not stress the whole system at once in the same way. So as an educated guess, in order of likelihood - PSU, then GPU, then motherboard.

Solution