Question My PC restarts while playing games, black screen ?

Jun 5, 2022
Hello everyone,

A month ago I bought a prebuilt PC, all components brand new but built in the shop by the seller and sent to me. It came with Windows 11 demo version, and after 20 min of playing the first game I download from steam, PUBG, it just restart after a black screen and a glitchy sound, like brrrrr.

Since then, it restarts randomly, sometimes after 5 min, sometimes after 2 hrs of playing, it never restarts while watching videos or using a browser.

Components are:
  • Intel core i5 11th gen
  • Zotac gaming RTX 3060 ti
  • ASUS prime B460ma R2.0 mobo
  • 2x16Gb XPG Ram
  • Munfrost gp650w 80+ Bronze
  • Aero cool liquid cooling for the CPU
  • 500Gb NV1 Kingston SSD
Here below I will put all the tests I have done and methods to solve the issue, non of the methods worked:

Software related methods:
  • Bought a license and did a clean install of Windows 10 pro, It still restarts
  • All drivers are updated, GPU drivers are up to date by using GeForce experience
  • Tried sfc /ScanNow, Memory diagnostic, Increased virtual memory, CHKDSK, Clean boot, but still restarts
Hardware related tests:
  • Using MSI Afterburner I see GPU and CPU temperatures always below 75°C, CPU under 60°C
  • Ran Memtest86 for 5 hrs each memory stick with no errors, so its not the RAM
  • Tried OCCT power test and in the 12V rail, voltage went to 11.3V and it sometimes restart, I thought it could be a faulty PSU but I tried a brand new Corsair RM750w, it stays at 11.9V but sometimes restarts as well, so its not the PSU
  • Tried Furmark and Heaven for 30 min each with no issues, GPU goes to almost 85°C but don't restart
  • Removing the GPU and playing at low resolution I was able to play for an hour without any issues
As you can see, My guess would be, GPU is faulty but I don't see any artifacts or weird stuff in the screen, Could you please give me suggestions on what to test to see the problem?, which component do you think is having the issue?

Thank you for your time
-Iván

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Munfrost gp650w 80+ Bronze
That looks like a rebranded Aigo/DarkFlash PSU...which still isn't a good unit. You might want to source a donor PSU that's of higher build quality with at least 650W of power for the entire system.

The reasons your platform will restart when taxed is either due to:
a bad PSU
or
an overheating issue

What version of Windows 10 are you currently on? BIOS version for the motherboard?

2x16Gb XPG Ram
Link to said ram kit?

Aero cool liquid cooling for the CPU
Link to said AIO?

You forgot to mention the make and model of your chassis. Where are you located, btw?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
How does it run on integrated graphics with the GPU removed ? We need to isolate the problem as best we can.

Unfortunately, the old PSU complicates things. It's a junky group-regulated PSU and there's always a chance it destroyed something. In the meantime, leave the Corsair in there and send the other to the local recycling center.

Jun 5, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Munfrost gp650w 80+ Bronze
That looks like a rebranded Aigo/DarkFlash PSU...which still isn't a good unit. You might want to source a donor PSU that's of higher build quality with at least 650W of power for the entire system.

The reasons your platform will restart when taxed is either due to:
a bad PSU
or
an overheating issue

What version of Windows 10 are you currently on? BIOS version for the motherboard?

2x16Gb XPG Ram
Link to said ram kit?

Aero cool liquid cooling for the CPU
Link to said AIO?

You forgot to mention the make and model of your chassis. Where are you located, btw?

hello, thanks for your answer

My Windows 10 version is 21H2, SO 19044.1706 and the BIOS version is American Megatrends Inc. 2403, 06/07/2021

the links to the RAM and liquid cooling

RAM
https://ddtech.mx/producto/memoria-...rix-d50-titanium-ax4u320032g16a-st50?id=10933

AIO
https://ddtech.mx/producto/enfriami...on-rgb-120mm-listo-para-am4-y-lga1200?id=9463

My chasis is a Munfrost and I'm in Mexico

https://ddtech.mx/producto/gabinete...-mini-itx-1-ventilador-argb-incluido?id=10563

as I already mentioned, my PC is now running with a Corsair rm750 but is still restart while playing pubg doesn't matter the video quality.

Aside from the dual fan in the Zotac 3060 ti and the liquid cooling fan, I only have one more in the front of the chasis.

Jun 5, 2022
How does it run on integrated graphics with the GPU removed ? We need to isolate the problem as best we can.

Unfortunately, the old PSU complicates things. It's a junky group-regulated PSU and there's always a chance it destroyed something. In the meantime, leave the Corsair in there and send the other to the local recycling center.

Hello, thanks for your answer

If I'm not playing games it runs almost the same as with GPU installed, but while playing games it only gives like 25 Fps at very low resolution 1280x720, I managed to play for a bit more than an hour a couple of times and it didn't restart.

Jun 5, 2022
Hello,

Recently I've been playing PUBG for two to three hours without GPU installed, and it don't restart, as soon as I install the GPU, after 20 to 30 min of gaming it restarts randomly sometimes I can play for an hour before it restarts, I installed two Noctua 120mm fans and temperature is around 50 ° C on both CPU and GPU.

Do you think this is enough evidence to say that my GPU is faulty? what else do you recommend me to test?

Thanks for your time