[SOLVED] My PC seems to be 'underperforming'

Mar 19, 2019
So, I've had my PC for a couple of months now I've recently noticed that my PC is 'underperforming' when it comes to gaming, I put that in quotations since the FPS seems to be displaying as it should (kinda), but the games just seem stuttery and laggy. I play Fortnite on Low settings (for the highest FPS since I play competitively) and I still experience a lot of stuttering - the game doesn't seem smooth at all; feels like I'm playing on less than 60 FPS (I have a 240hz monitor). I even tried bumping my settings to max on Fortnite (my PC should easily run this at 100+ FPS) but it's literally unplayable, my game feels like it's at 10 FPS. A similar thing happened when I went to play The Division 2, on 240hz it didn't really seem smooth (seemed like I was playing on 50-60 FPS at a push) so I dropped it to 60hz in the settings - it then felt like I was on 20 FPS when I did this. It's extremely aggrevating that I'm experiencing these issues, especially with the amount of money put into getting a good set up + not really knowing how to solve it (being a PC noob). My specs are:
  • i7-8700K
  • Vega64 8GB
  • 16GB DDR4 RAM 2400MHz
  • AORUS Gaming 7 Motherboard
  • Samsung 970 EVO 500GB
  • EVGA 650W G3
If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated as I'm considering seeing a professional to see if they know anything about it / how to fix it :/

If you need any screenshots of tests / need me to do certain ones please let me know and I'll be sure to do them, just want to try get to the bottom of the issue I'm having. Thanks in advance :D

NoMercyBeAst

Reputable
Oct 18, 2017
So, I've had my PC for a couple of months now I've recently noticed that my PC is 'underperforming' when it comes to gaming, I put that in quotations since the FPS seems to be displaying as it should (kinda), but the games just seem stuttery and laggy. I play Fortnite on Low settings (for the highest FPS since I play competitively) and I still experience a lot of stuttering - the game doesn't seem smooth at all; feels like I'm playing on less than 60 FPS (I have a 240hz monitor). I even tried bumping my settings to max on Fortnite (my PC should easily run this at 100+ FPS) but it's literally unplayable, my game feels like it's at 10 FPS. A similar thing happened when I went to play The Division 2, on 240hz it didn't really seem smooth (seemed like I was playing on 50-60 FPS at a push) so I dropped it to 60hz in the settings - it then felt like I was on 20 FPS when I did this. It's extremely aggrevating that I'm experiencing these issues, especially with the amount of money put into getting a good set up + not really knowing how to solve it (being a PC noob). My specs are:
  • i7-8700K
  • Vega64 8GB
  • 16GB DDR4 RAM 2400MHz
  • AORUS Gaming 7 Motherboard
  • Samsung 970 EVO 500GB
  • EVGA 650W G3
If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated as I'm considering seeing a professional to see if they know anything about it / how to fix it :/

If you need any screenshots of tests / need me to do certain ones please let me know and I'll be sure to do them, just want to try get to the bottom of the issue I'm having. Thanks in advance :D
Did you check if any other programmes are running in background while you are playing in taskmanager.

Looks like your monitor has trouble pacing anything less then 240 properly.
How did you connect it to your GPU? Not all connections(cables) support the same Hz and you might be sending the monitor less FPS then your GPU is producing.
You should also state your monitor model in case anybody has any experience with it.

Mar 19, 2019
Looks like your monitor has trouble pacing anything less then 240 properly.
How did you connect it to your GPU? Not all connections(cables) support the same Hz and you might be sending the monitor less FPS then your GPU is producing.
You should also state your monitor model in case anybody has any experience with it.
I’ve connected it with the HDMI cable that came with it, is this wrong? Now that you’ve mentioned it, I have been experiencing issues with my monitor in the past, even stuff like watching YouTube videos, like this:
View: https://youtu.be/U4CHiYsvMLo
This might not be related but it seems like it very well could be.

Also, my monitor is the AW2518HF

Solution
Mar 19, 2019
According to your monitors page it takes hdmi 1.4
https://www.dell.com/gr/enterprise/p/alienware-25-gaming-monitor-aw2518hf/pd
and 1.4 shows a max of
4096 × 2160 at 24 Hz,
3840 × 2160 at 24, 25, and 30 Hz, and
1920 × 1080 at 120 Hz
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Version_1.4
So if you been playing at higher then 1080 resolutions then there's your problem.

Disclaimer I'm not a great expert on monitors.
Gotcha, and yea I've only been playing at 1080 res so don't think this could be the issue, I do play stretched res' like 1153x1080 but surely that can't be a problem.
Also, I just loaded up The Division 2 on my second monitor (my old main monitor - 60hz) and it seems smooth as butter compared to when I've been playing on my 240hz 'new' monitor, very dissapointing :/ This definitely identifies my issue haha, I'll have to do some researching to see if I can fix it or maybe even reset my monitor (if that's possible), or I might have to try and get a replacement if it's something out of my control :(