My Pc shuts down since I installed my new XFX Radeon HD 7870 Core Edit

Nachorowsky

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
My Pc shuts down since I installed my new XFX Radeon HD 7870 Core Edit

Hi.

I looked in the forum for the answer to my problem and could not find it. I'm a little inexperienced in graphics cards so I'm a little lost here. The XFX Radeon HD 7870 Core Edition is the first video card I buy for gaming and since I installed it I had the following problem:

When I run a game on maximum settings, my pc turns off after a few minutes of playing, same thing if I have the game on medium settings and a little less often when I have the game on low settings.

At first I thought it was the temperature, so I downloaded the msi afterburner and increase the speed of the card fan at 100% but my pc keeps shutting off. Also, I used HWMonitor, and the CPU and GPU temperature never exceed 60ºC. Maybe I'm wrong, but I read online that these components hold up to 90ºC before malfunctions or shutting down.

Again, maybe I'm wrong, but I'm starting to think that might be the power supply, which is a 800w Monster Pixxo, is high performance, but I don't trust the brand.

I have a:

Motherboard Gygabyte 970A-D3
Graphic Card XFX Radeon HD 7870 Core Edition
AMD FX- 8150 (no overclock)
Liquid CPU Cooler Corsair H60
And 2 Hard Drives.

I do not know if I need more power (or a more reliable power source) or the problem is, in fact, in the temperature. I also attached a screenshot of the HWMonitor in case there is any data that may be useful.

monitorOK_zpsd8f1cb0c.jpg

Screenshot while playing Battlefield 3.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I replace the idle screenshot for one under load.

Solution
Yes it most likely is your power supply.

But seriously, your CPU is pulling 1.44 volts at stock. That is insane for an FX at that speed. Turn off turbo boost in BIOS and check out a bulldozer clocking guide especially regarding voltages, it should be around 1.3ish or lower. That is also pulling a lot of juice from your PSU as well.

darksparten

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2012
Is that HWMonitor under load or idling.

If it's under load something is seriously wrong, your +12V should give more than 12 volts max, especially for what is alleged as an 800w. That would explain random shutdown.

Get into a game and then get the HWMonitor, if thats idle

ohyouknow

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
Yes it most likely is your power supply.

But seriously, your CPU is pulling 1.44 volts at stock. That is insane for an FX at that speed. Turn off turbo boost in BIOS and check out a bulldozer clocking guide especially regarding voltages, it should be around 1.3ish or lower. That is also pulling a lot of juice from your PSU as well.

Solution