[SOLVED] My PC turns off completely with no warning, and it's random. More details in post because it's a doozy

Mar 31, 2021
Before starting this off, this is my exact PC, it's pre-built (that doesn't bother me guys) and it's about a year and a half old.

The issues started recently, when I was watching videos my computer made a click, and had a hard shut down. Not a single thing was warning me, it just went black and needed a manual restart. Fast forward, the issue persists for a few days but changing the power plan to balanced (was on high power) and that "secret new fast boot" option in the power menu to off seemed to do the trick. Fast forward another week and here we are, I was in the middle of playing Apex Legends and the computer wigged out and completely shut off after I touched the power plans again. The thing is, I only tried touching those settings because the game was running like ass. 30 frames on LOW EVERYTHING! Then, the computer clicked and everything went out. When it had restarted, those settings were reverted to balanced and off again.

Before reading this next section, know that I don't overclock, I actually use MSI AB to up my fan speed because I want the temps lower and when I'm gaming I can't even hear the fans

I open MSI Afterburner to monitor the computer resources and launch a test on Horizon Zero Dawn, for some reason when I apply the recommended "overclock" the computer runs fine again; and Horizon got well over 100 on Ultra everything and doesn't stutter or crash. However this worries me because I've never overclocked the computer in any major way; as you may know MSI Afterburner is kind of like a basic way of learning OC because core voltage and all that is always locked off. So the recommended OC seems to have just put a curve on clock speed and nothing else.

When I was monitoring the game, I noticed the CPU temp stays around 94c, and specifically when exiting the game it went up to 104c. This is leading me to believe that the motherboard is probably overheating or something to that degree but how is this possible if I've only owned the computer for a year and a half; and it's already liquid cooled with 6 fans across the entire case?

In conclusion, I've already done Malware scans and what not; nothing came up. The only issue is the PC shutting off instantly at random times, but regardless I'm not an expert and have no experience in computer repair; I don't have any other ideas, but I need help. What should my next step be? I thought it was the power supply but clearly if it can run Horizon for an hour completely fine it must not be; since sometimes Spotify alone can crash it!

Regardless, any help is greatly appreciated and I am willing to give any additional details as needed!

Solution
I have to agree with you about the anemic fronts, actually something I was taking away from all this is how garbage this case is, do you have any recommendations for a better case?

The second thing is that the pump seems to still be working, because I can hear and feel water pulsing through it; but how can I make sure of this? I was thinking there must be a program that can monitor or control the pump to ensure it's running properly, because based on sound alone I definitely hear something moving through the pipes; but perhaps the issue is how often? I don't know too much about it

Basically, something physical has to cause the temperature and there are only a few sources. Bad overclock, poor airflow, or something cooler...

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
It's possible that the mounting has become loose. System integrators aren't known to do a great job wtih assembly. And more can go wrong with an AIO cooler than an heatsink. The pump could have stopped working intermittently. I would remount the cooler after a fresh application of thermal paste and if things suddenly get hot, I'd feel the block/pump and see if it appeared to still be operating.

Also worth seeing about dust on those anemic front intakes. This is a constricted airflow case, so if there's any building up on those little side vents, it might be getting really toasty in there.

Mar 31, 2021
It's possible that the mounting has become loose. System integrators aren't known to do a great job wtih assembly. And more can go wrong with an AIO cooler than an heatsink. The pump could have stopped working intermittently. I would remount the cooler after a fresh application of thermal paste and if things suddenly get hot, I'd feel the block/pump and see if it appeared to still be operating.

Also worth seeing about dust on those anemic front intakes. This is a constricted airflow case, so if there's any building up on those little side vents, it might be getting really toasty in there.

I have to agree with you about the anemic fronts, actually something I was taking away from all this is how garbage this case is, do you have any recommendations for a better case?

The second thing is that the pump seems to still be working, because I can hear and feel water pulsing through it; but how can I make sure of this? I was thinking there must be a program that can monitor or control the pump to ensure it's running properly, because based on sound alone I definitely hear something moving through the pipes; but perhaps the issue is how often? I don't know too much about it

Mar 31, 2021
It honestly sounds like thermal shutdown.

If you have been messing with the fan curves, be certain that you didn't change the pump header to some low setting. I agree with the above to check and see if the pump is running.

The pump seems to still be functioning and on, but how could I check the pump header's settings? I think there could be a chance it were turned on low due to the fan settings but I don't really know how to check that

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Go into BIOS ( I didn't see a mobo make listed in the spec) you should be able to see the connections to the mobo/detected fans. One of them may say pump, there may just be a fan header that can be set to be one or the other. You may have to physically look and follow the leads to see which one the pump is plugged to. I would set the pump to 100%, and set the fans to performance mode.

Think I would also just try dropping the side panel and/or see if you can remove or modify the front "glass" for flow through the rad.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Basically, something physical has to cause the temperature and there are only a few sources. Bad overclock, poor airflow, or something cooler related.

Really, anything with a mesh front will tend to perform better, thinks like the Phanteks P400A/P300A or the Lian Li Lancool II Mesh. Getting airflow with a front glass panel is tricky, you want really large cutouts to keep the flow. Those little vertical or horizontal vents companies like to use are like trying to breathe through a straw. Without big vents, you have to get the air in somewhere. I use an 011 Dynamic XL on my main rig and it does it by having a large side intake on the cable management side and large clearance at the bottom for intake there too.

Solution