Question My PC will not POST unless CMOS clearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 21, 2023
Whenever I push the power button on my PC, there is no POST or display, resorting in me having to kill the power switch. But, whenever I clear CMOS, that's when things start to appear. It shows the POST screen telling me to push F1 to boot into BIOS. When in BIOS, clicking on the “Save and Reset '' puts in no display. Alternatively, clicking on “Discard and Exit” boots into Windows. Also, restarting the PC had the same result. Pure black screen. What's wrong with this and how can I boot my pc without having to clear CMOS every time?
By the way, I used both methods for clearing the BIOS.

List of things that I have tried and didn’t work:
  • CMOS clear/reset
  • CMOS clear + RAM replug
  • CMOS clear + RAM replug + GPU replug
  • Literally replugging everything Full rebuild (disassembled it and built it again)
  • BIOS update (which requires restart so I cannot finish updating it)
Hardware that I have tested:
  • ✓ GPU (It had video output)
  • ✓ SSD (i upgraded from a hard drive to an m.2 ssd, and since the system boots up fine.)
    • Tested Windows Administrator Commands to check corrupted files:
    • sfc /scannow
    • dism /online /cleanup-image [/checkhealth, /scanhealth, /restorehealth]
  • ? PSU
  • ? Ram
  • ? EFI System Boot Partiton
Both motherboard and memory, and the SSD has warranty.

Specs:
MB: ASUS PRIME A320M-K
CPU: Ryzen 7 2700X (Used)
GPU: GeForce GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) (Used)
RAM: Team 16GB (8GBx2) (3200MHz)
PSU: Thermaltake 700w GOLD RGB (Used)
SSD: Team 1TB M.2 SSD

DaleH

Prominent
Mar 24, 2023
Whenever I push the power button on my PC, there is no POST or display, resorting in me having to kill the power switch. But, whenever I clear CMOS, that's when things start to appear. It shows the POST screen telling me to push F1 to boot into BIOS. When in BIOS, clicking on the “Save and Reset '' puts in no display. Alternatively, clicking on “Discard and Exit” boots into Windows. Also, restarting the PC had the same result. Pure black screen. What's wrong with this and how can I boot my pc without having to clear CMOS every time?
By the way, I used both methods for clearing the BIOS.

List of things that I have tried and didn’t work:
  • CMOS clear/reset
  • CMOS clear + RAM replug
  • CMOS clear + RAM replug + GPU replug
  • Literally replugging everything Full rebuild (disassembled it and built it again)
  • BIOS update (which requires restart so I cannot finish updating it)
Hardware that I have tested:
  • ✓ GPU (It had video output)
  • ✓ SSD (i upgraded from a hard drive to an m.2 ssd, and since the system boots up fine.)
    • Tested Windows Administrator Commands to check corrupted files:
    • sfc /scannow
    • dism /online /cleanup-image [/checkhealth, /scanhealth, /restorehealth]
  • ? PSU
  • ? Ram
  • ? EFI System Boot Partiton
Both motherboard and memory, and the SSD has warranty.

Specs:
MB: ASUS PRIME A320M-K
CPU: Ryzen 7 2700X (Used)
GPU: GeForce GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) (Used)
RAM: Team 16GB (8GBx2) (3200MHz)
PSU: Thermaltake 700w GOLD RGB (Used)
SSD: Team 1TB M.2 SSD
Try changing some parameter in the BIOS, saving it and then, change it back to the original value and then to 'save and exit'.

May 21, 2023
Try changing some parameter in the BIOS, saving it and then, change it back to the original value and then to 'save and exit'.
I cannot save any settings on the BIOS, because the PC cannot restart/reset.

May 21, 2023
I understand that. I want to see if the board will post without the cmos battery on the motherboard. It may just be the battery needs replacing.
Although I still haven't done that, I have replaced my battery multiple times and each times it still did not work. I will still give it a shot though. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.