Question My pc won't boot because somehow my CPU preventing my GPU to Function

Aug 9, 2022
Hello! This Problem is new to me so I'll make this as short and informative as possible. so first of all here are my current specs:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1400
Mobo: MSI a320m pro-vd/s
GPU: GTX Geforce 680
RAM: Team group elite ddr4 2666mhz (1x8GB)
PSU: Thermaltake litepower 650w

So I bought GTX Geforce 1650 DDR6 and used it. I have a habit of making my pc automatic sleep every 5 mins if I'm AFK. and one day my pc wasn't able to boot. I check the right side of the MOBO and the EZ debug LED VRAM lights up, which indicates that there's a problem on my display which is the GPU. so the 1st thing I did is take a look at it. I notice a wet-glossy substance and I used a tissue to wipe it out. it has greenish in color so I immediately assume it got peed by rats (we have a rat problem since it was raining every day) since my casing is basically old and open for business. so I tried to clean it off and used it again but still no luck. the timespan of using the new GPU was only 3 weeks so it's still on warranty and I bring it to the store, the 1st thing they did is test it on their system which is much older than mine and it works! so I rush to get my current pc and try to fix it there. they check every possible troubleshooting available:

• Update Bios to the latest
  • Reset Bios
  • Change the same brand new GPU with my mobo and CPU
  • change another 320 motherboards (gigabyte a320m-s2h ultra durable) with my CPU
  • change PSU (much older than mine)
  • trying different socket display
  • trying different display cord
All of these lists did not work but as soon they change my CPU with AMD athlon. it WORKS! with my own motherboard, PSU and RAM. and when they change back to my current CPU it doesn't boot or display. Somehow my CPU prevents my GPU to boot or display. it's frustrating because I used it for at least 3 weeks and it's brand new. and somehow it will work with the older hardware but not mine somehow my pc only accepts my GTX 680. Does anybody have this problem? Thank you.

Hello! This Problem is new to me so I'll make this as short and informative as possible. so first of all here are my current specs:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1400
Mobo: MSI a320m pro-vd/s
GPU: GTX Geforce 680
RAM: Team group elite ddr4 2666mhz (1x8GB)
PSU: Thermaltake litepower 650w

So I bought GTX Geforce 1650 DDR6 and used it. I have a habit of making my pc automatic sleep every 5 mins if I'm AFK. and one day my pc wasn't able to boot. I check the right side of the MOBO and the EZ debug LED VRAM lights up, which indicates that there's a problem on my display which is the GPU. so the 1st thing I did is take a look at it. I notice a wet-glossy substance and I used a tissue to wipe it out. it has greenish in color so I immediately assume it got peed by rats (we have a rat problem since it was raining every day) since my casing is basically old and open for business. so I tried to clean it off and used it again but still no luck. the timespan of using the new GPU was only 3 weeks so it's still on warranty and I bring it to the store, the 1st thing they did is test it on their system which is much older than mine and it works! so I rush to get my current pc and try to fix it there. they check every possible troubleshooting available:

• Update Bios to the latest
  • Reset Bios
  • Change the same brand new GPU with my mobo and CPU
  • change another 320 motherboards (gigabyte a320m-s2h ultra durable) with my CPU
  • change PSU (much older than mine)
  • trying different socket display
  • trying different display cord
All of these lists did not work but as soon they change my CPU with AMD athlon. it WORKS! with my own motherboard, PSU and RAM. and when they change back to my current CPU it doesn't boot or display. Somehow my CPU prevents my GPU to boot or display. it's frustrating because I used it for at least 3 weeks and it's brand new. and somehow it will work with the older hardware but not mine somehow my pc only accepts my GTX 680. Does anybody have this problem? Thank you.
follow this step by step in order (read till end):
  • Use GTX 680 to boot through windows
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall every gpu driver using DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors (is a must, should be 8 on yours since it's 8 threads, also when it asks for restart, click on no and keep uninstalling all processors) on device manager like this:
    unknown.png

• Uninstall AMD Chipset Software in control panel (if there is none, skip it.)

• shut down the PC, disable AMD fTPM and secure boot, save and exit, go to bios again, reflash to the latest bios with agesa 1.2.0.7, go to bios after finished updating, then load default or optimized settings, then save and exit.

Optional: disable CSM, enable Above 4G Decoding and Resizable bar option (these 2 options wont be available unless CSM is disabled).

• Go to bios and shut down the pc, plug the new gpu, then try to boot to windows.

• if successful, boot up to windows and install the latest Chipset driver (should be ver 4.06.xx), then reboot.

• Install the latest gpu driver, reboot, and then connect to internet.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, put ram on slot A2 and B2 (slot 2 and 4), also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did). Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• Run cmd as admin, then do chkdsk /x /f /r, after that do sfc /scannow

• And check windows update if there is any and install them (except optional update).

• Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
    unknown.png

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2022
follow this step by step in order (read till end):
  • Use GTX 680 to boot through windows
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall every gpu driver using DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors (is a must, should be 8 on yours since it's 8 threads, also when it asks for restart, click on no and keep uninstalling all processors) on device manager like this:
    unknown.png

• Uninstall AMD Chipset Software in control panel (if there is none, skip it.)

• shut down the PC, disable AMD fTPM and secure boot, save and exit, go to bios again, reflash to the latest bios with agesa 1.2.0.7, go to bios after finished updating, then load default or optimized settings, then save and exit.

Optional: disable CSM, enable Above 4G Decoding and Resizable bar option (these 2 options wont be available unless CSM is disabled).

• Go to bios and shut down the pc, plug the new gpu, then try to boot to windows.

• if successful, boot up to windows and install the latest Chipset driver (should be ver 4.06.xx), then reboot.

• Install the latest gpu driver, reboot, and then connect to internet.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, put ram on slot A2 and B2 (slot 2 and 4), also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did). Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• Run cmd as admin, then do chkdsk /x /f /r, after that do sfc /scannow

• And check windows update if there is any and install them (except optional update).

• Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
    unknown.png
Hello. First of all thank you so much for the effort to reply . I tried steps 1 to 7 but sadly my PC won't boot or going into the bios still the same problem.

Heres the link of the picture I taken during step 7 (same problem)

https://ibb.co/FDWfQVW

Hello. First of all thank you so much for the effort to reply . I tried steps 1 to 7 but sadly my PC won't boot or going into the bios still the same problem.

Heres the link of the picture I taken during step 7 (same problem)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nVLywaiwPgtyM0CeqqmwiSLnWmnfFGfo/view?usp=drivesdk
You could just upload to imgur and post the image here.

also on step 7, using 1650 still wont boot? now that's weird, or you couldnt go to bios at all using GTX 680?

last time i ecounter this kind of issue (on my friend's pc tho) is that he uninstalled the driver using DDU on his 1060 but then it failed, wont post any image, and i suggested to plug his OS ssd to another pc which he used his bro pc, uninstalled the nvidia driver using DDU but using clean and do not restart option, shut down, and plug it back to his own pc, and it worked, cleaned driver and it boots image from start to windows.

Aug 9, 2022
You could just upload to imgur and post the image here.

also on step 7, using 1650 still wont boot? now that's weird, or you couldnt go to bios at all using GTX 680?

last time i ecounter this kind of issue (on my friend's pc tho) is that he uninstalled the driver using DDU on his 1060 but then it failed, wont post any image, and i suggested to plug his OS ssd to another pc which he used his bro pc, uninstalled the nvidia driver using DDU but using clean and do not restart option, shut down, and plug it back to his own pc, and it worked, cleaned driver and it boots image from start to windows.
It's kinda like my PC only boots up and going into bios if I ever used my GTX 680. But as soon as I plug in my 1650. It's just nothing . No bios, no boot, no display. Just the 3rd ez debug LED lit up. (Which is VGA basically indicates there is a problem on my GPU) . Well I think my CPU is dying since even using my GTX 680 I'm experiencing sudden similar BSOD but just any solid colors (red, green, brown and so on) on my screen and a lagging effect on sound. Then poof similar to the 1650 problem with the ez debug led lit up.

I don't know how to upload but here's the picture. From imgur. It's a picture of when I plug my 1650
View: https://imgur.com/a/cqUXbVs

It's kinda like my PC only boots up and going into bios if I ever used my GTX 680. But as soon as I plug in my 1650. It's just nothing . No bios, no boot, no display. Just the 3rd ez debug LED lit up. (Which is VGA basically indicates there is a problem on my GPU) . Well I think my CPU is dying since even using my GTX 680 I'm experiencing sudden similar BSOD but just any solid colors (red, green, brown and so on) on my screen and a lagging effect on sound. Then poof similar to the 1650 problem with the ez debug led lit up.

I don't know how to upload but here's the picture. From imgur. It's a picture of when I plug my 1650
View: https://imgur.com/a/cqUXbVs
so did you uninstall the gpu driver using DDU? if so, then the cpu pcie lane might be dying, OR try to go to bios, force the pcie version to 2.0 or even slower, 1.0, and see if it works...

if so.. try 3.0, if it does not work, then the 3.0 might be busted.

If it does work, continue from step 7 and later on.

Aug 9, 2022
Yes I uninstall. The driver using the latest ddu. even in safemode. Still the same. But I'll try to change the pcie lane
Well still nothing. I'll probably just buy new PC at this point. I had it for almost 5 years now. Maybe it's time. Anyway, thanks for the effort.

Can I post my possible PC specs here and maybe give me suggestions?

Richj444

Prominent
May 25, 2022
All of these lists did not work but as soon they change my CPU with AMD athlon. it WORKS! with my own motherboard, PSU and RAM. and when they change back to my current CPU it doesn't boot or display.

That sounds like your CPU is defective to me. Nothing to do with your GPU. Did they try your CPU in their system while they had it? If so did it work in theirs?

Aug 9, 2022
Here's what I have in mind:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X
Mobo: Asus TUF B550 or MSI B550-A
GPU: Radeon RX 6650 XT
RAM: Kingston Fury Beast 3200 (2x8GB)
PSU: Cooler Master Gold 650W
Cooler: Cooler Master hyper 212
SSD: WD green 240GB NVME

Is the PSU enough? I was thinking getting powercolor Rx 6650 hellhound. That required at least 650 watts (it's saids on the box)

Here's what I have in mind:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X
Mobo: Asus TUF B550 or MSI B550-A
GPU: Radeon RX 6650 XT
RAM: Kingston Fury Beast 3200 (2x8GB)
PSU: Cooler Master Gold 650W
Cooler: Cooler Master hyper 212
SSD: WD green 240GB NVME

Is the PSU enough? I was thinking getting powercolor Rx 6650 hellhound. That required at least 650 watts (it's saids on the box)
psu should be ok, prolly i'll aim for corsair psus, but it depends on budget lul.

for ram aim for the 3600mhz one from Klevv, Team, PNY, V-Color, G.skill, Patriot, and Corsair. Usually 3600mhz kit priced only a little slight difference than 3200 (atleast in my country, add 10 bucks or less u get 3600mhz version of the same kit).

Aug 9, 2022
psu should be ok, prolly i'll aim for corsair psus, but it depends on budget lul.

for ram aim for the 3600mhz one from Klevv, Team, PNY, V-Color, G.skill, Patriot, and Corsair. Usually 3600mhz kit priced only a little slight difference than 3200 (atleast in my country, add 10 bucks or less u get 3600mhz version of the same kit).
Thank you for the information and for the help