My Printer Model MFC-7860DW is not working (Connection issue between my PC and the Printer?)

SeriousGaming101

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2016
I have tried 3 different PC's to print my Word documents on my Brother MFC-7860DW Printer but they all come up with the same Printer Error Messages.

Things I have already tried and failed:

1. Resetting the Printer's network connection manually on the Printer itself. The wireless connection says it is "Connection : OK" because the Printer prints out a confirmation page every time I reset the network manually on the Printer.
2. Hardwiring a ethernet cable directly from my router to the printer.
3. I tried reinstalling the software drivers on my PC for the printer but my PC doesnt "detect" the Printer when installing the software.
4. Restarting my router after turning it off completely for 20+ minutes.
5. Restarting my printer after turning it off completely for 10+ hours.

I need help fast because I have important documents due today. Thank you.

kanewolf

Titan
I have tried 3 different PC's to print my Word documents on my Brother MFC-7860DW Printer but they all come up with the same Printer Error Messages.

Things I have already tried and failed:

1. Resetting the Printer's network connection manually on the Printer itself. The wireless connection says it is "Connection : OK" because the Printer prints out a confirmation page every time I reset the network manually on the Printer.
2. Hardwiring a ethernet cable directly from my router to the printer.
3. I tried reinstalling the software drivers on my PC for the printer but my PC doesnt "detect" the Printer when installing the software.
4. Restarting my router after turning it off completely for 20+ minutes.
5. Restarting my printer after turning it off completely for 10+ hours.

I need help fast because I have important documents due today. Thank you.
Have you verified that your network type in Windows is set to "private" rather than "public" ?
https://www.minitool.com/news/change-network-from-public-to-private.html
It could also be a firewall setting on your PC if you have a local firewall enabled.
Verify that you can ping the IP address of the printer.

SeriousGaming101

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2016
Have you verified that your network type in Windows is set to "private" rather than "public" ?
https://www.minitool.com/news/change-network-from-public-to-private.html
It could also be a firewall setting on your PC if you have a local firewall enabled.
Verify that you can ping the IP address of the printer.
I am on Windows 11 and the network type is "private" because i use my ISP's SSID and password.
I just tried turning off Microsoft Defender Firewall to test and it still doesn't print.
I don't know how/where to find the IP address of the printer.

kanewolf

Titan
I am on Windows 11 and the network type is "private" because i use my ISP's SSID and password.
I just tried turning off Microsoft Defender Firewall to test and it still doesn't print.
I don't know how/where to find the IP address of the printer.
Typically the IP address of the printer is listed in the diagnostic pages that print out. You should be able to determine it, by the list of clients in your router.
IF both you and the printer are on WIFI, then it is possible your router has "client isolation" enabled. This is a capability that prevents clients from directly interacting with other clients.

What model is your router ?

Ralston18

Titan
What are those specific "Printer Error" messages?

You tried 3 PCs - correct?

Look in Reliability History/Monitor on each PC. Any printer/printing related error codes, warnings, or informational events just before or at the time of the print failures?

Are you able to make a copy of Confirmation Page/diagnostic pages and post copies here via imgur (www.imgur.com)?

My overall thought being that having reset the computer(s), the printer, the router, etc.. All may be back to some default network values that are preventing communications between the devices.

Late thought: as asked - make and model router?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Something that I have found with our office Brother printers.

Make sure to get the actual install package from Brother. Use your USB cable to hook to the printer and do the install of drivers and apps via the cable. It is important to disable your AV program while doing so. You may even have to make an exception/rule for your AV because they often see the Brother software as a threat, which in reality I guess it could be perceived that way.

Generally speaking, once the printer is set up and selected as a wireless printer, most other things will automatically pick it up. In some cases I have had to use the cable and install direct to other PC on the shared Network.

In my own experience the little screen to do manual install and the connection repair utility that Brother offers is useless.

GL.

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
Try the following printer reset sequence:
  1. Remove the power cord for at least 30 seconds.
  2. Press and hold the ON/OFF button down, and then insert the power cord back into the Brother machine.
  3. Do not release the ON/OFF button until the machine has been powered on completely or after 15 seconds.
  4. Repeat this procedure up to three times if necessary.