[SOLVED] my PSU fan has annoying noises even though there's no problem at the display at all

Oct 31, 2021
so i'm gonna go directly to the point. i have been using this computer for months and it's PSU is kinda have a strange problem that makes me frustrated both the lacks of problem and the lacks of solution in the internet that makes me feels like this problem is so rare.

(i assume) the fan of the PSU goes loud after i turned on the computer after hours or even minutes of using.

when i turned on the computer, it's all fine. sometimes there's unusual sound and sometimes it's all quite fine and dandy. after a few minutes/hours, the fan of the PSU suddenly loud out of nowhere even though my computer doesn't have any problem shows up like blue-screen or lagging or something else. and the CPU itself is cool, there's no heat coming near the component.

whenever i heard this, i always quickly shut down the computer since i worried something might happen even though there's no sight of problem whatsoever. after that, when i tried to turn on the computer again, the noises is gone. sometimes after that the computer can keep up without making the same noises for a few hours right to the end of the day, and sometimes the noise goes on again after a few minutes or hours. and worse, after i shut down, when i turned on the computer again, it makes the same noises again immediately. and in rare cases, when i turned on the computer, there's a weird unusual noises that when i touch or slightly push the CPU, the said noises goes on again. im not sure if there's a cable stuck that makes the fan goes loud since i can temporarily fix this by simply shutting down the PSU without moving it a bit.

when i ask local services, they said that it's because unstable electricity. but when i tried to search it on google, i can't find any case like that hence why i'm so frustrated with this so-called rare case of mine.

any suggestions or solutions?

Solution
i still can't find the solution. as i said, if the problem is in the fan, then why can i able to fix it by simply turning off the cpu and turning on again without touching or repositioning something as how common fan problem supposed to be?

the only thing i believe the most is the local services' saying that it's because the unstable electricity. but then again the internet has not "found" this kind of problem yet..

It's likely the fan bearings. Simply having it stop and start again can get it in in a quiet "mood" so to speak.

There's nothing to do here, really. Installing a PSU that you actually can feel safe leaving the room with it running will naturally result in a new fan.

DSzymborski

Titan
19e1f1c82dc4bd094bd4bf70636ba4eb

🤢

Unsurprisingly, unbelievably low-quality PSU appears to be using unbelievably cheap internal parts. The most likely sound you're hearing is a failing fan. Which should be considered a win given that the last sound this PSU is designed to ever hear is the crackle of either electricity arcing or a small electrical fire.​

Oct 31, 2021
so.. it's because the PSU is horrible? because before this problem happen the sounds are quite, fine and dandy. and it's quite expensive for my economy standard hence why i bother to find a solution rather than immediately buy a new one..

DSzymborski

Titan
so.. it's because the PSU is horrible? because before this problem happen the sounds are quite, fine and dandy. and it's quite expensive for my economy standard hence why i bother to find a solution rather than immediately buy a new one..

Very cheap PSUs use very cheap parts, which fail very early. There are only a few sounds a PSU can make since they don't really have much in the way of physically moving parts. Even on a very basic rig, a PSU with no listed protections would frighten the heck out of me. Especially one that can be bought at the equivalent of $13 USD. Now, I can't hear the sound; if it's an electrical sound (but not coil whine) instead of a fan, I'd be even more worried about this.

Oct 31, 2021
i still can't find the solution. as i said, if the problem is in the fan, then why can i able to fix it by simply turning off the cpu and turning on again without touching or repositioning something as how common fan problem supposed to be?

the only thing i believe the most is the local services' saying that it's because the unstable electricity. but then again the internet has not "found" this kind of problem yet..

DSzymborski

Titan

It's likely the fan bearings. Simply having it stop and start again can get it in in a quiet "mood" so to speak.

There's nothing to do here, really. Installing a PSU that you actually can feel safe leaving the room with it running will naturally result in a new fan.

Solution