[SOLVED] My RAM is always on 2133mhz

niko99398

Prominent
May 7, 2020
I just switched to Corsair vengeance LPX kit 2x8Gb DDR4 3000mhz ram. I had my old ram which was 2400mhz rated and that was stuck at 2133mhz. I used xmp and manually upped the voltage and speed and when I turn the pc on it starts and 3 times just restarts for some reson. Back to the new ram. I just installed it and have in mind my power supply is 750w 80+ gold forza, Gtx 1060 6gb, new b450 and ryzen 3 1200af so nothing too power consuming there. And i turned the pc on and for some reason 8gb is reserved for hardware and that is odd but okay i will put it in the other slot now its in A1 and B1. The speed is 2133 the same. I went in the bios and it has his xmp proffile for 3000 mhz 1.35 voltage and some cl 15 speeds and when i put that the pc literally started and restarted 3 times again but in that time when its powering on i dont have time to do <Mod Edit> its like 4s so i literally dont know the problem here. Everybody is saying on other forums put xmp on but it is on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Hi Niko.

Every time you change the XMP profile or overclock your RAM manually the system do a "Memory Training" and this is exactly what you're describing. Let the system restart 3 times and do it's Memory Training. If it goes straight to the BIOS after the 3 restart the XMP probably didn't stick. If it goes to the OS you check the speed in the OS with a software like CPU-Z in the memory tab.

Your CPU is a first gen Zen CPU. The CPU is guaranteed to work with RAM speed of 2666MHz. Try setting your XMP profile to 2666MHz and let the system restart 3 times and see if it stick.

The RAM needs to be in A2 and B2 on most of the B450 board. I don't know what brand and model is your B450 but switch them to A2 and B2.
Hi Niko.

Every time you change the XMP profile or overclock your RAM manually the system do a "Memory Training" and this is exactly what you're describing. Let the system restart 3 times and do it's Memory Training. If it goes straight to the BIOS after the 3 restart the XMP probably didn't stick. If it goes to the OS you check the speed in the OS with a software like CPU-Z in the memory tab.

Your CPU is a first gen Zen CPU. The CPU is guaranteed to work with RAM speed of 2666MHz. Try setting your XMP profile to 2666MHz and let the system restart 3 times and see if it stick.

The RAM needs to be in A2 and B2 on most of the B450 board. I don't know what brand and model is your B450 but switch them to A2 and B2.

Solution

niko99398

Prominent
May 7, 2020
Hi Niko.

That was actually my bad for forgeting to check the cpu max rated speeds. My other 2x4 ram was in A2 B2 and it worked completly fine so that make sense. I put the ram now at 2666mhz and when it started up it was still 2133mhz and in bios it shows 2133mhz 16gb but in the advanced settings it says 2666mhz and auto for voltage(1.2v). My mobo is B450 Asrock Steel Legends. It is switched now from A1 B1 to A2 B2 and its still 8.1gb hardware reserved but it says that i have 16gb in total i dont understand why is that

niko99398

Prominent
May 7, 2020
If someone has the same problem I switched the RAM from A2 B2 to A1 and A2 so 2 to the left and its working now i have 15.9Gb usable RAM memory
Edit:
Now I can put memory in the 3000mhz. It starts up normally and doesnt restarts 3 times