[SOLVED] My resolution is stuck at 640x480

May 9, 2020
I recently built my new computer, the GPU is an AMD Radeon RX 580, I got the Viotek HA238 as my monitor, using HDMI, it was working great until a couple of days ago when the screen shut off for a few seconds and it came back on stuck in 640x480. I've tried everything, different HDMI cables, which I know arent the cause, they all work on a TV I used to test them, driver updates and rollbacks, i'm out of ideas. I believe this has something to do with the software but i'm not sure. If someone could please help me that would be much appreciated. Thank You!!!

Solution
Hey there.

Check some simple stuff first:
  • Assuming your CPU has on-board graphics, make sure the HDMI cable is plugged in to the GPU port and NOT the motherboard. I know this sounds silly but it's so common that it's always worth mentioning!
  • If you can see/access Display Settings, what available resolutions are listed other than 640x480, if any?
  • Boot the PC in Safe Mode and see if you're still experiencing the same issue. While you're at it, what resolutions are listed in display settings in Safe Mode?
  • (If the above step works>) For the sake of being thorough; clean-remove your graphics drivers in safe mode using Display Driver Uninstaller and then re-install the latest non-beta driver from AMD's official website.

Budge414

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2013
Hey there.

Check some simple stuff first:
  • Assuming your CPU has on-board graphics, make sure the HDMI cable is plugged in to the GPU port and NOT the motherboard. I know this sounds silly but it's so common that it's always worth mentioning!
  • If you can see/access Display Settings, what available resolutions are listed other than 640x480, if any?
  • Boot the PC in Safe Mode and see if you're still experiencing the same issue. While you're at it, what resolutions are listed in display settings in Safe Mode?
  • (If the above step works>) For the sake of being thorough; clean-remove your graphics drivers in safe mode using Display Driver Uninstaller and then re-install the latest non-beta driver from AMD's official website.

Last edited:
Reactions: sdedu77
Solution
May 9, 2020
Hey there.

We'll check the simplest stuff first:
Hey! Thanks for the help! My HDMI is connected to my graphics card, my resolution is greyed out at 480x640, on the monitor at least, and I booted into safe mood but it only worked for a literal minute or so before just telling me there's no input. Any idea where to go?

I recently built my new computer, the GPU is an AMD Radeon RX 580, I got the Viotek HA238 as my monitor, using HDMI, it was working great until a couple of days ago when the screen shut off for a few seconds and it came back on stuck in 640x480. I've tried everything, different HDMI cables, which I know arent the cause, they all work on a TV I used to test them, driver updates and rollbacks, i'm out of ideas. I believe this has something to do with the software but i'm not sure. If someone could please help me that would be much appreciated. Thank You!!!

So the system works fine on the TV but not the monitor? Did you fully uninstall the video card drivers with DDU and install them clean again? Try reseating the card/power connections?

Reactions: JeBoltz1200

Budge414

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2013
Hey! Thanks for the help! My HDMI is connected to my graphics card, my resolution is greyed out at 480x640, on the monitor at least, and I booted into safe mood but it only worked for a literal minute or so before just telling me there's no input. Any idea where to go?
It's very possible that it's a hardware issue. Try hang-the-9's solutions above.
While you're at re-seating the GPU you may as well re-seat your RAM too. Bad RAM can sometimes cause display issues. I haven't actually seen them cause problems quite like yours but worth a shot.
You mentioned testing the cable but not actually plugging the desktop into the TV, that's what was being clarified above and it's good to try if you haven't already.

Reactions: JeBoltz1200
May 9, 2020
Hey, I reseated the card, power connectors, and RAM, to no avail. I should have mentioned this earlier but I tested my monitor with my laptop, which used to work fine, but I couldn't get a display, I cannot find the option to uninstall drivers on the DDU if someone could help me with that, i'm using AMD Radeon Software. I reinstalled the DDU, and the display was fixed for a short time but almost soon as the software was reinstalled, the problem reoccured, so I assume it's driver/DDU. I think the monitor itself could also be the issue, because I can't see why it won't work with my laptop either. Also, my monitor is recognized in device manager as "Generic Non-PnP Monitor" which could mean something from what i've looked up.

Last edited:
May 9, 2020
So the system works fine on the TV but not the monitor? Did you fully uninstall the video card drivers with DDU and install them clean again? Try reseating the card/power connections?
Yes, sort of, I couldn't find a way to uninstall drivers with my DDU so I reinstalled the DDU and it reinstalled the drivers, while the software was installing, my monitor resolution was fixed though if that helps