Question My Sapphire Pulse RX 5600 XT does not load up windows, shows only black screen :(

Aug 15, 2020
Hi folks,

Yesterday I have encountered a problem which i cant sort out. I have purchased a brand new GPU Sapphire Pulse RX 5600 XT and after installation i can see the BIOS but it does not load up windows and it shows black screen. Just to make sure it does not start even to load windows at all . I really need help with this.

What i have tried :
-changed display ports to HDMI back and forth did not help
-all the power cables are plugged in all looks good
-i have uninstalled previous drivers from my pc
-i have tried to install fresh windows ( i could not cuz after the bios would switch to the installation screen it shows only black screen, it does not even start up the windows dvd)
-i have checked if the power source is enough for the gpu in theory it enough
- i even updated the bios on my mobo
-tried to reset the cmos took out battery and disconnected from mains for 5 minutes
- tried to put back my old GPU that works still as normal just drivers need installing

My pc specs:
-CPU : intel 975 3.33ghz
-mobo: rampage II
-PSU: corsair CX 550 W 80+
-Ram: g-skill sniper 1333 mhz 3x 4gb
-ssd: samsung 256gb

Any suggestions? :)

Last edited:

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I think the machine is to old for the RX 5600 XT to be recognized. I have that same problem with both my LGA 1156 motherboards (Asus H55 chipsets) and my RX 5600 XT and my 5500 XT. My boards are from the same era as your LGA 1366 board; 1st gen Core systems. I'm not sure if it is a BIOS issue, a win10 issue, or a chipset issue. But I've tried everything with no luck.

On my boards, the cards produces a display at boot (POST), but once Win10 begins installing, the display goes black and Win 10 never completes loading.

Aug 15, 2020
I feared this will be the answer. I was thinking long time now to upgrade my pc but really did not get around it ( it still works fine tho ). I just wish i could test it in different pc to be sure.

Thnx so much for the reply !

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If you can return the card for a refund or replacement, I have found the the previous gen RX 590, 580, 570 cards work fine in my old 1156 boards. I would suspect they would work fine in the 1366 board as well.

My last 1366 board seemed to also work well with newer Nvidia cards. At least up to the GTX 1060 I had in it at the time. I can't vouch for anything past the 1000-series, but I know they work.

Aug 15, 2020
May I ask so you think it is the problem with chip set on these boards the X58 i think it was. And that is why the new card are not been recognized? Just for the info i bough this car cuz my old one just gave up on life (RX 480). It worked fine for years tho.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
May I ask so you think it is the problem with chip set on these boards the X58 i think it was. And that is why the new card are not been recognized? Just for the info i bough this car cuz my old one just gave up on life (RX 480). It worked fine for years tho.
As I mentioned above, I'm not sure if it is a BIOS issue, a win10 issue, or a chipset issue . The thing that throws me is the fact that if it was a chipset or BIOS issue, I would expect the card not to produce a display at all. No POST or anything. But my new RX 5xxx cards all produced a display until POST finished and Win10 started loading. Then the screen went black and stayed black. Win10 never loaded; the system just sort of sat there not doing anything until I hit the reset button on the case. Then it all started over again.

How does that compare to what you see when you try to boot with the RX 5600 XT card installed?

Aug 15, 2020
As I mentioned above, I'm not sure if it is a BIOS issue, a win10 issue, or a chipset issue . The thing that throws me is the fact that if it was a chipset or BIOS issue, I would expect the card not to produce a display at all. No POST or anything. But my new RX 5xxx cards all produced a display until POST finished and Win10 started loading. Then the screen went black and stayed black. Win10 never loaded; the system just sort of sat there not doing anything until I hit the reset button on the case. Then it all started over again.

How does that compare to what you see when you try to boot with the RX 5600 XT card installed?
Exactly the same, as you described it LOL Since my "pc rig" needs a upgrade like 5 years now i have decided to order new mobo, cpu and rams cuz i will swap from intel to amd. So im gonna have chance to try the gpu out on the new pc.
I will keep you posted.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Dec 2, 2020
Hi there, I'm having the same issue except for the fact that I have a b450i mobo, ryzen 5600x, and 600w psu, just purchased the gpu, Ethan no drivers are installed it shows the desktop all right but when installing drivers it goes all black

Aug 15, 2020
Hi there, I'm having the same issue except for the fact that I have a b450i mobo, ryzen 5600x, and 600w psu, just purchased the gpu, Ethan no drivers are installed it shows the desktop all right but when installing drivers it goes all black

Based what you told me i would not use the same drivers to install it.

Are you using drivers provided by the manufacturer or you just downloaded the newest one from amd website?

Dec 2, 2020
Based what you told me i would not use the same drivers to install it.

Are you using drivers provided by the manufacturer or you just downloaded the newest one from amd website?
I'm using the lastest drivers because the manufacturer does not provide drivers, it only refers to amd site to download the lastest drivers, I tried with the recommended drivers 20112 windows certified

Aug 15, 2020
I'm using the lastest drivers because the manufacturer does not provide drivers, it only refers to amd site to download the lastest drivers, I tried with the recommended drivers 20112 windows certified

Try not to use the latest one. Try to find older driver . I would try that .

But may i ask what is your PC spec and which windows are you using?

And one last question : Where did you get your card from? Im asking in case you have yours from Wish or similar website.

Dec 2, 2020
Try not to use the latest one. Try to find older driver . I would try that .

But may i ask what is your PC spec and which windows are you using?

And one last question : Where did you get your card from? Im asking in case you have yours from Wish or similar website.
Ryzen 5600x
Mobo aorus b450i pro wifi
Ram 16gb 3200mhz HyperX predator
Psu 600w corsair sf600
Windows 10 pro
I got it from Amazon but is not possible to change it for a new unit I don't know why, they only give me the refund option

Aug 15, 2020
Ryzen 5600x
Mobo aorus b450i pro wifi
Ram 16gb 3200mhz HyperX predator
Psu 600w corsair sf600
Windows 10 pro
I got it from Amazon but is not possible to change it for a new unit I don't know why, they only give me the refund option

So as im aware that Ryzen 5600x does not have integrated graphics. Are you using any graphics card? Cuz this all issue does not make any sense lol.

Aug 15, 2020
Oh right, I'm moving (hopefully) from a rx480, that card works perfectly with all drivers but the 5600xt doesn't
So let me get this wright, so whenever you change GPU it all goes black screen ? So you see the start screen of your motherboard and after that you see black screen? Or you still see the desktop of your windows and only when youupdate drivers for the gpu you it goes to black screen?

Dec 2, 2020
So let me get this wright, so whenever you change GPU it all goes black screen ? So you see the start screen of your motherboard and after that you see black screen? Or you still see the desktop of your windows and only when youupdate drivers for the gpu you it goes to black screen?
The first one, if I change the gpu with drives installed the screen goes black, if I uninstall the drivers the 5600xt gives video but the moment I install the drivers it goes back, so I have to tunr off and change the gpu to be able to uninstall drivers and try again

Aug 15, 2020
The first one, if I change the gpu with drives installed the screen goes black, if I uninstall the drivers the 5600xt gives video but the moment I install the drivers it goes back, so I have to tunr off and change the gpu to be able to uninstall drivers and try again

Right, so try these two things :

1. try to install older version of drivers for the GPU.
  2. try to switch between the ports on the GPU ( i know its basic but sometimes helps)

Dec 2, 2020
Right, so try these two things :

1. try to install older version of drivers for the GPU.
  2. try to switch between the ports on the GPU ( i know its basic but sometimes helps)
The mobo is a mini itx so only one port, but I will try with older versions of drivers hopefully it will solve the problem. Thanx

Aug 15, 2020
The mobo is a mini itx so only one port, but I will try with older versions of drivers hopefully it will solve the problem. Thanx
Hold on minute, dont try to connect your monitor to your MOBO it wont work. The 5600x ryzen cpu does not have integrated graphics. you only would get picture through your GPU ports.

Reactions: dotas1
Dec 2, 2020
Hold on minute, dont try to connect your monitor to your MOBO it wont work. The 5600x ryzen cpu does not have integrated graphics. you only would get picture through your GPU ports.
Yeah I get it, I'm gonna repeat the whole process, swap to the rx480 un install drivers swap to xt again and try an older driver and so go on and on and on until I find a working driver or I just give up because is not the worth all this trouble

Reactions: La Magra

TRENDING THREADS