Question My son is hacking my WiFi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 18, 2019
Please I need some help, I used to use BT access control to control when the Internet turns off my sons WiFi, I did this as he would be on the computer till 5am otherwise.

Anyway he tells me I can no longer do anything about it now as he has hacked into my WiFi and that there is nothing I can do about it, he says I can no longer block him and just laughs thinking he knows it all.

I changed to a new BT router which had different WiFi password and different admin password but he still gets access, i am using WPA2 with WPS disabled as I read about on here but still no luck. I also removed the sticker with login details off the router

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Sep 18, 2019
He is 16 and just started an apprentice, he has already said if I touch his pc then he will leave , i would happily call his bluff and take his pc away but if he does leave then he is potentially throwing his career away at the same time as I know he would not bother going, was just curious if there was a way to block him from hacking the wifi

USAFRet

Titan
He is 16 and just started an apprentice, he has already said if I touch his pc then he will leave , i would happily call his bluff and take his pc away but if he does leave then he is potentially throwing his career away at the same time as I know he would not bother going, was just curious if there was a way to block him from hacking the wifi
If he gets around my Step 1 & 2 above, there is no magic.

Change the router admin password and default username
Change the WiFi password

Strong passwords on both.
If he can still get around that (unlikely), then you have larger problems.

Reactions: haggis0073
Sep 18, 2019
That's the thing, he has got around it and I have no idea how, I got a new router delivered with new admin password and new WiFi password, i changed both and are 12 characters long each using capitals and symbols

kanewolf

Titan
There are ways around wifi passwords.

If you want to disable the wifi, unplug the router and take the cable. Plug it back in when you want the wifi back on.

A pain, but effective.
Actually take the AC adapter from the router. Not the network cable. The AC adapter is much more unique.
Unplug and take the whole router to bed with you each night.

Sep 18, 2019
I finish work at 11pm so I am up till about 2am, i could unplug it then but the constant shouting and cursing he does online is disrespectful and ideally would like to block him rather than hide the router each night, but looks like it may have to be

Just a thought, are you letting your browser save your passwords? Does he have access to a device with the same browser account? If so, that's how he is getting the router info. Besides, all he has to do is manually reset the router and he is back in business. Look, I also have one that age. And yeah, sometimes I have to put my foot down, but that's what a parent has to do sometimes, as teenagers can continue to push if they believe it will work.

I can't help but suspect you are barking up the wrong tree. After all, what's stopping him from "hacking" by merely plugging his own AP into your ethernet?

And if you block the ethernet too, then what's stopping him from unplugging your router when you are gone, and plugging in his own?

After all a used router is ~$5 which is well within the budget of any 16yo.

You could always use Inclusive MAC address filtering. It is a bit of a pain, but you can block all network adapters except for the ones you specifically allow, then change your password. In some routers you can specify time limits for certain addresses to be allowed. It should be easy to figure out which computers have which addresses from the currently connected devices as it usually gives computer names as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.