Question My task manager shows high GPU usage while not running anything demanding ?

Oct 20, 2022
Recently i have got a pc for first time in my life, with 3060 rtx and intel core i5 12400f and it ran very well, however recently something weird happened, the task manager started to give me unstable gpu usage that was spiking continousely to 99% percent while nothing demanding is running.

what is weirder every other benchmarking program gave me a normal percentage unlike task manager. Some people said its a minig (mining?) malware but i did everything, i used malwarebyte and reinstalled windows and nothing changed.
any help would be really appreciated.
Edit; I solved the problem, turns out nvidia latest drivers (522.25 )was causing it, and i just returned to the pervious version, for some reason no one but only few people talks about this issue, thank you nividia.

Last edited:
This is what the summary graph is showing (from https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/gpus-in-the-task-manager/)
In the left pane under the GPU name and at the bottom of the right pane, you’ll notice an aggregated utilization percentage for the GPU. Here we had a few different choices on how we could aggregate utilization across engines. The average utilization across engines felt misleading since a GPU with 10 engines, for example, running a game fully saturating the 3D engine, would have aggregated to a 10% overall utilization! This is definitely not what gamers want to see. We could also have picked the 3D Engine to represent the GPU as a whole since it is typically the most prominent and used engine, but this could also have misled users. For example, playing a video under some circumstances may not use the 3D engine at all in which case the aggregated utilization on the GPU would have been reported as 0% while the video is playing! Instead we opted to pick the percentage utilization of the busiest engine as a representative of the overall GPU usage.

Task Manager reports data from a different point in the graphics stack (possibly in the kernel mode area as described below) than other utilities. Most other utilities simply report from the driver stack, which only reports if the GPU had something to do.

dx10arch.png

To diagnose this if you think this is a problem, Task Manager can show you which task is using which GPU in the Processes tab or the Details tab (you have to enable the column though)

Oct 20, 2022
This is what the summary graph is showing (from https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/gpus-in-the-task-manager/)

Task Manager reports data from a different point in the graphics stack (possibly in the kernel mode area as described below) than other utilities. Most other utilities simply report from the driver stack, which only reports if the GPU had something to do.

dx10arch.png

To diagnose this if you think this is a problem, Task Manager can show you which task is using which GPU in the Processes tab or the Details tab (you have to enable the column though)
I know task manager can show you what task is utilizing gpu, i just did not talk about it because I though it will complicate things more.
when nothing is on, desktop window manager is the only one that draw that big utilization percent, which is something you can not disable in windows 11, however when i turn anything that is graphically demanding, most gpu utilization in task manager will go to it, with a lesser percent still commited toward desktop window manager
From what I noted, it seems that task manager shows that the gpu give any grphically demanding software high utilization percent, even if the demand that this software is low amd doesnt require this high utillization.
what is weirder is due to this unesscary utilization, my gpu temperature is increasing, and when i turn on msi afterburner, it will decrease gradually to normal temperature.
I really hope i could find a solution because it has been very stressing to me.

I know task manager can show you what task is utilizing gpu, i just did not talk about it because I though it will complicate things more.
when nothing is on, desktop window manager is the only one that draw that big utilization percent, which is something you can not disable in windows 11, however when i turn anything that is graphically demanding, most gpu utilization in task manager will go to it, with a lesser percent still commited toward desktop window manager
From what I noted, it seems that task manager shows that the gpu give any grphically demanding software high utilization percent, even if the demand that this software is low amd doesnt require this high utillization.
what is weirder is due to this unesscary utilization, my gpu temperature is increasing, and when i turn on msi afterburner, it will decrease gradually to normal temperature.
I really hope i could find a solution because it has been very stressing to me.
So outside of DWM, what exactly is causing the GPU to be used when you don't think anything demanding is going on?

Reactions: yousifion