My XP decides to reboot instead of loading up...

Phlegatu

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2005
Hello,

Not sure how important this backstory is, but here it goes. Yesterday, in response to Nero 6's failure to burn CDs for the past few weeks due to a power calibration error, I installed Easy CD Creator. I restarted the computer when prompted to, and found that Windows XP Pro could no longer start.

What I got (and continue to get when starting with Last Known Good and Normal startup settings) is the windows loading screen for a while, then a sudden flash of blue screen with several lines of error message text, then the almost immediate restarting of the computer. I'd love to tell you what's on that blue screen, but it flashes there for about a millisecond, almost so quick you don't notice it, before the computer restarts. Safe Mode doesn't fare much better, and in fact doesn't seem to even reach the Windows loading screen and doesn't receive any error message before restarting.

I don't think the problem is with Easy CD Creator, which has been installed on another machine in this house for some time without incident, but it certainly appears to be the catalyst. This probably isn't enough information to go on, so if you need more please ask. If you even know a way of pausing the error screen so I can read it and get a better idea (are such error messages written to a log file somewhere that I could read by plugging this HD into my other computer?) it would be greatly appreciated.

If you have anything to offer, I thank you in advance.

Aaron

Phlegatu

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2005
Yeah, repair did no good.

I ended up biting the bullet and just making a new XP install and copying everything over. Pain in the ass reinstalling all my programs and changing all my settings, but I was too impatient.

I've had both installed before with no issues... both were fully functional.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>