Question Mysterious problem - system suddenly not posting or booting

Jul 25, 2023
Hi hardware hive mind, I need some help!

All of a sudden, my trusty system (Ryzen 1800x/ASRock X370 Killer SLI/64GB/RTX 3070) won't boot/post - the lights on the motherboard come on, the fans spin up, but the display says "no signal" (I've tested it, it's fine) no matter what I do, and I'm getting desperate.

The system also tries to boot repeatedly.

I've tried the following:
  • Shuffle the RAM around (all possible configurations)
  • Reset CMOS (a bunch of times, in different ways)
  • Disconnect the GPU, using only the built in graphics
  • Switched out the motherboard (for an ASRock X570 Taichi Premium), no difference, so I switched it back)
  • Replaced the CPU (with a 3700x)
All to no avail.

The only thing I haven't done is to replace the PSU, but as the MB lights come on and the fans run, I'm thinking that it shouldn't be dead.

Any ideas on how to get my system working again would be extremely welcome!

Last edited:
Hi hardware hive mind, I need some help!

All of a sudden, my trusty system (Ryzen 1800x/ASRock X370 Killer SLI/64GB/RTX 3070) won't boot/post - the lights on the motherboard come on, the fans spin up, but the display says "no signal" (I've tested it, it's fine) no matter what I do, and I'm getting desperate.

The system also tries to boot repeatedly.

I've tried the following:
  • Shuffle the RAM around (all possible configurations)
  • Reset CMOS (a bunch of times, in different ways)
  • Disconnect the GPU, using only the built in graphics
  • Switched out the motherboard (for an ASRock X570 Taichi Premium), no difference, so I switched it back)
  • Replaced the CPU (with a 3700x)
All to no avail.

The only thing I haven't done is to replace the PSU, but as the MB lights come on and the fans run, I'm thinking that it shouldn't be dead.

Any ideas on how to get my system working again would be extremely welcome!
Two things: first I would disconnect all of the drives so that the computer has no place else to go except to boot into bios; at least you should see the bios screen; and maybe be able to boot a usb stick. Second, just because the lights and fan come on doesn't mean the power supply is good; the voltage may have dropped to below the level necessary for proper operation either at the 12v or 5v or 3.3volt level.