[SOLVED] Mysterious ram errors and blue screens

Mar 13, 2021
I'm at my wits end with this. About two weeks ago, I started experiencing periodic blue screens. Generally they were either out of page or another relatively generic one that I don't remember. Since then, I've exhausted so many strategies to try and fix this that I'm exhausted.
  1. Ran updates
  2. Checked and updated all drivers
  3. Did a clean install of the driver for the graphics card
  4. Ran scannow and chkdsk.
  5. Reset bios settings to default to insure ram wasn't overclocking. (it was already at default)
  6. Ran memtest. It reported about fifty errors within a minute that the ram was not writing /retrieving numbers accurately at multiple locations.
  7. Tested each ram stick individually (still returned memtest errors)
  8. Tried the old stick I'd been using last year. It never had a problem. Not only did it return errors, it crashed.
  9. Tried sticks in different slots.
  10. At this point, fairly confident the issue wasn't the ram, I replaced the mother board. Though there was no sign of leakage or blown capacitors, it was four years old and had gotten dusty in the move. Replaced cpu fan and power supply too. Still errors.
  11. Removed the graphics card to make sure it wasn't causing the errors. Still errors.
  12. Ran an Intel cpu test. It checked out fine.
  13. Updated bios and reset to defaults again. Still errors.
  14. Going back to ram, I bought two new sticks. Still errors.
I have no idea how to trouble shoot this anymore. The crashes haven't had a consistent stress cause that I can tell. They've happened over night when the computer was asleep. I think the problem must be hardware, but I'm about to do a clean wipe off the computer and reinstall just because I have no idea what to do next.

System specs;
  • Cpu: intel i3 8100
  • Mother board : Asus prime b365m-a
  • Ram : corsair vengeance 2x16gb 3200mhz (current), crucial 8gb (original), crucial ballistic 2x16gb 3200 (new tested).
  • Storage: Samsung sata ssd 500gb
  • Power source : evg 600w bronze
  • Graphics card: nvidia geforce 1060
  • Running Windows 10
I'll try anything at this point. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Solution
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I've done that. I isolated each stick of ram in the configuration, removing the other. Both failed individually. I plugged in the old, stable stick that I used before. It had never experienced these errors in its lifetime. Still reported errors and crashed. I even tried the sticks in different slots. Any ram I put in fails. Even with a new motherboard. I've wiped the drive and reinstalled from scratch, just to be sure it wasn't some massive software problem. I've still got errors.
I did not read where you had moved the mobo out of the case for testing.
It may seem foolish but it eliminates one more thing......the case.
I'm at my wits end with this. About two weeks ago, I started experiencing periodic blue screens. Generally they were either out of page or another relatively generic one that I don't remember. Since then, I've exhausted so many strategies to try and fix this that I'm exhausted.
  1. Ran updates
  2. Checked and updated all drivers
  3. Did a clean install of the driver for the graphics card
  4. Ran scannow and chkdsk.
  5. Reset bios settings to default to insure ram wasn't overclocking. (it was already at default)
  6. Ran memtest. It reported about fifty errors within a minute that the ram was not writing /retrieving numbers accurately at multiple locations.
  7. Tested each ram stick individually (still returned memtest errors)
  8. Tried the old stick I'd been using last year. It never had a problem. Not only did it return errors, it crashed.
  9. Tried sticks in different slots.
  10. At this point, fairly confident the issue wasn't the ram, I replaced the mother board. Though there was no sign of leakage or blown capacitors, it was four years old and had gotten dusty in the move. Replaced cpu fan and power supply too. Still errors.
  11. Removed the graphics card to make sure it wasn't causing the errors. Still errors.
  12. Ran an Intel cpu test. It checked out fine.
  13. Updated bios and reset to defaults again. Still errors.
  14. Going back to ram, I bought two new sticks. Still errors.
I have no idea how to trouble shoot this anymore. The crashes haven't had a consistent stress cause that I can tell. They've happened over night when the computer was asleep. I think the problem must be hardware, but I'm about to do a clean wipe off the computer and reinstall just because I have no idea what to do next.

System specs;
  • Cpu: intel i3 8100
  • Mother board : Asus prime b365m-a
  • Ram : corsair vengeance 2x16gb 3200mhz (current), crucial 8gb (original), crucial ballistic 2x16gb 3200 (new tested).
  • Storage: Samsung sata ssd 500gb
  • Power source : evg 600w bronze
  • Graphics card: nvidia geforce 1060
  • Running Windows 10
I'll try anything at this point. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Bench time.
Move the mobo to a piece of cardboard.
Psu>mobo>cpu/hsf>one stick of ram.
Plug the monitor into the mobo.
Boot up a copy of memtest....test
If it fails your down to 4 parts.

Mar 13, 2021
Bench time.
Move the mobo to a piece of cardboard.
Psu>mobo>cpu/hsf>one stick of ram.
Plug the monitor into the mobo.
Boot up a copy of memtest....test
If it fails your down to 4 parts.
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I've done that. I isolated each stick of ram in the configuration, removing the other. Both failed individually. I plugged in the old, stable stick that I used before. It had never experienced these errors in its lifetime. Still reported errors and crashed. I even tried the sticks in different slots. Any ram I put in fails. Even with a new motherboard. I've wiped the drive and reinstalled from scratch, just to be sure it wasn't some massive software problem. I've still got errors.

I did not read where you had moved the mobo out of the case for testing.
It may seem foolish but it eliminates one more thing......the case.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS