Mysterious random 100% Disk Usage Spikes

XXXMina

Commendable
Nov 15, 2016
Ok after reading all the 100% disk usage spikes posts all over and trying different solutions . I finally decided to do my own post. Anyway, the mysterious part of my problem, is that I had task manager running and it said I was using 100% disk but none of the processes/programs listed were the culprit.

My System:
Antec 1200 Case
Z77 Sabertooth
i7-2600K @3.6GHZ
Windows 10 64 bit
16gb DDR3
Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB that replaced EVGA GTX 670 4GB x2 in SLI 8gb total.
2 Raid 0 OCZ Vertex 3 450GB x2 that replaced OCZ Orion100 240gb SSD (both sata III)
Triple Display Asus 28" center and Asus 24" Outer in multiple desktop modes.

Basically I'm getting random freezing. seems to be gaming or video related. doesn't happen if I'm not playing a game or watching a video on facebook or youtube. Originally I had 2 GTX 670 4gb(8gb total) SLI. I was thinking maybe the cards were bad? so I replaced them with Brand new GTX 1080 8gb. It seems to have worked for a week or two then the problem came back out of nowhere. Also this problem came with windows 10 but i refuse to go back to windows 7. Also before trying 2 different video cards; I have also tried using a single SSD and a Raid0 SSD set-up. Originally was using the raid0 set-up, but since problem was Hard Disk Problem. I installed windows 10 on 240gb SSD to troubleshoot . Didn't solve the problem so I went back to 850 gb raid 0 .

I've also tried turning off superfetch and back on
I've also disabled Link State Power Management, and power is always on high performance
I've tried to play around with Virtual Memory paging. tried to turn it off , make it bigger, in the end i just set it back to auto.
I've even tried uninstalling Nvidia sound driver because it was also said to do this.

Anyway, after all that nothing... still doing it.

Last thing i did was uninstall Intel Rapid Storage. Lets see if this will fix the problem.

do you guys have any solution to this? i have 3 screens, i put the task manager on the 2nd screen. When the problem happens, it shows 100% disk usage but none of the program listed are using any of the disk resources. what else is running that isn't under the list of processes?

Games:
WoW, COD, Division, Titanfall 2,

Solution

I found the solution, it's 1 of many because this problem happens allot and has different solutions.

Do you have Intel Rapid Storage Technology installed? if yes, right click it's icon in bottom right, go to Performance.
Under Performance you will see "Link Power Management" . if it's enabled, "DISABLE IT"

if that does'nt solve it. go to Control Panel, then Power Options, Make sure you are using "High Performance"
Click "Change Plan Settings" then press "Change Advanced Power Settings"
In those settings, Under PCI Express you will find...

Pixel_82

Commendable
Nov 15, 2016

Going through the same thing right now - I've taken all the same steps as you - I'll keep ya posted. Sorry no help

XXXMina

Commendable
Nov 15, 2016
Ok so I think I found and solved the problem. if you go into Inter Rapid Storage. Go under Performance. there is an option here that says Link Power Management : Enabled Disable.... i disabled this and every since then i have'nt had any issues. I had link power management disabled in Inter Rapid Storage and under Power Management.

try it and tell me what you think

Reactions: Vellaura

XXXMina

Commendable
Nov 15, 2016

I found the solution, it's 1 of many because this problem happens allot and has different solutions.

Do you have Intel Rapid Storage Technology installed? if yes, right click it's icon in bottom right, go to Performance.
Under Performance you will see "Link Power Management" . if it's enabled, "DISABLE IT"

if that does'nt solve it. go to Control Panel, then Power Options, Make sure you are using "High Performance"
Click "Change Plan Settings" then press "Change Advanced Power Settings"
In those settings, Under PCI Express you will find "Link State Power Management"
Set "Link State Power Management" to "OFF" if its on ....

try that and tell me if problem persists.

Solution