[SOLVED] mystery key on SSD

Jan 26, 2023
I can't find a compatible USB enclosure for an Intel 660p SSD 2.0TB that was removed from a dead 2015 MacBook Pro. There's a notch near the center of the row of contacts that doesn't match the plastic pin in an enclosure I bought. Online photos of enclosures and SSD drives all show notches near the end(s) of the row of contacts, so I wonder if the center notch indicates "for use ONLY as an internal drive" and not to be used as an external USB drive.

Here's the specific contact arrangement on my drive, with 'c' contacts, 's' spaces (width of 2 contacts), and 'N' showing the notch: ccc s cccc s ccccccc N ccccccc s cccc. I think the arrangement I've seen depicted online (including a diagram of B, M, and B+M keying) puts the notch(es) where the first and/or last spaces are, instead of in the middle.

Thanks very much.

Solution
It would seem there is an adapter from the Mac still attached to the drive.

A 660p has a standard M.2 connection.

A pic of your drive would help.
It sounds like you need an adapter:

A4RED201228UR0K7.jpg

Jan 26, 2023
Thank you both for those quick replies. The picture shows exactly my pin arrangement on the male side, but would be exactly the opposite of what I need, which is a female socket for the center-notch pinout connecting to a male offset notch to fit the 'standard' female socket in a USB enclosure. And I wonder how this could then fit the enclosure (saw off the back end?). And most importantly, where could I find an adapter and is there a useful search phrase?

Jan 26, 2023
...making progress... Search for "apple SSD enclosure" is finding me some with pictures showing center notch. With Apple-like prices, $99 instead of $20! But I think I'm on the right track, will keep looking after lunch.

Jan 26, 2023
It would seem there is an adapter from the Mac still attached to the drive.

A 660p has a standard M.2 connection.

A pic of your drive would help.
I tried dragging my photo into this window, and despite seeing the green plus sign, it didn't "stick." I see the button at top to "attach image" but it opens a window asking for a hyperlink. How do I get my photo into this thread?

Jan 26, 2023
That certainly terminates in a "standard" connection, but it's a monster - certainly would not fit into a standard enclosure. But I recall pictures online of devices where the SSD is freestanding, sticking straight up from a small box it's plugged into. Another reply suggests I may ALREADY have an Apple adapter on my SSD, that if removed would expose the "standard" male plug. I'll have to look into that...

Jan 26, 2023
OMG! Exactly right! The SSD already has an adapter to convert the "standard" eccentric notch male plug to a center-notch plug to insert into an Apple female socket. Too bad I already returned the enclosure I purchased! But I can simply re-order it.

Now I want to figure out how to flag this thread as "solved."

USAFRet

Titan
OMG! Exactly right! The SSD already has an adapter to convert the "standard" eccentric notch male plug to a center-notch plug to insert into an Apple female socket. Too bad I already returned the enclosure I purchased! But I can simply re-order it.

Now I want to figure out how to flag this thread as "solved."
Click on the Trophy icon next to the reply that helped you the most.

Thank you both for those quick replies. The picture shows exactly my pin arrangement on the male side, but would be exactly the opposite of what I need, which is a female socket for the center-notch pinout connecting to a male offset notch to fit the 'standard' female socket in a USB enclosure. And I wonder how this could then fit the enclosure (saw off the back end?). And most importantly, where could I find an adapter and is there a useful search phrase?
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/How+To+Install+a+Mac+SSD+into+an+External+Enclosure/143285

enclosure is here
https://www.ifixit.com/products/external-ssd-enclosure-for-select-mid-2013-to-mid-2015-macs