NanoSSD Plugs Directly Into SATA Slot

Status
Not open for further replies.

dheadley

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
I like the idea behind this but i think they should have tried to make them taller and skinnier as to match the connector and not block adjacent connector slots.

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
[citation][nom]cjl[/nom]It appears to be blocking the adjacent ports though...[/citation]

That's the fault of the engineer(s) who staged the port headers off the mainboard in this configuration. Stacking the ports vertically would likely solve this.

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
[citation][nom]spectrewind[/nom]That's the fault of the engineer(s) who staged the port headers off the mainboard in this configuration. Stacking the ports vertically would likely solve this.[/citation]
What?!? The mobo came first, the direct connect drive should have been built to fit.

skine

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
[citation][nom]the last resort[/nom]quiet as a mouse? shouldn't it just be silent?[/citation]
Yes, "quiet as a mouse" is an idiom meaning silent or very nearly silent.

nachowarrior

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
[citation][nom]Matt87_50[/nom]hmm, I didn't think sata had any power channels? does it just get its power from the signal?[/citation]
good question. the like pro\/ided directly abo\/e my comment should answer your question though. Interesting product, cross between ssd and thumb dri\/e. nice.

Impulse Fire911

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009
wow talk about the technology of tommorow they still can only hold a small amount but soon they shall have terrabite's and with that fast speed of read&write i think ill save up to get one of these

bulldoza99

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
good call on the power issue.
In regards to the size of it- you could just put a sata cable on it if you had issues with its size - but these wouldnt really have a good market in pcs with lots of sata devices anyway- more for miniatx boards and internet cafe style systems.

mrubermonkey

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
Proper SSD evaluation is so complex that lengthy reviews are need to get an idea of how well a SSD might perform. Anyway, instead of the 75 MB/sec read and 30 MB/sec write specifications, you should tell us if it is using MLC or SLC NAND flash and what type of controller it is using or at least the maker of the controller. The three most important factors in evaluating a SSD that I have discovered so far through reading multiple SSD reviews and about SSDs in general would be the SSD's capacity, the type of flash memory it uses, and the type of controller it uses. Only if you have special interests regarding a particular SSD should you bother putting much weight on other factors in evaluating that SSD over the three I have listed.

fonzy

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
I still got my hopes on PCI express ssd's.I heard IO extreme will be coming out with a driver to make there drives bootable for installing windows and what knot.The price needs to go down though and capacity needs to go up.

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Awful, simply awful. These drives really don't perform any faster than my mechanical 150GB Western Digital Raptor drive in terms of real world performance. I'd rather have an internal hard drive as big as a full height floppy disk drive than this pathetic piece of crap.

dbwalsh

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
I use something similar for a boot device for my debian server. Can fill up the box with raid 5 terabyte hard drives

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
[citation][nom]Matt87_50[/nom]hmm, I didn't think sata had any power channels? does it just get its power from the signal?[/citation]
They provided an extra molex connector. http://www.elecom.co.jp/news/200908/esd-i2saa/image/ESD-ID016SAA_31.jpg

[citation][nom]bin1127[/nom]but it's slow and low storage. What's wrong with a regular hd?[/citation]
It is much more ideal either for troubleshooting, or 24/7 ITX boxes (it'd be much more durable, produce less heat, consume less electricity than the hdisk in the long run).

Status
Not open for further replies.