Question NAS Running Horrendously Slowly, Only from One Machine Though

koberulz

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2010
Was doing a couple of things with files on my NAS, which runs my media server. I think I was backing a disc up, and re-encoding a file, and possibly one or two other tasks. Anyway, it all came to a screeching halt. The encode just got stuck on 81% and sat there. There was no error about the drive being inaccessible, although for all intents and purposes it appeared to be. Eventually everything stopped responding, I rebooted. Still had the same issues. Even navigating in Windows Explorer is a "double click on a folder, go make a coffee, come back, drink the coffee, read the paper, then the folder might have opened" proposition.

Local storage is fine. Accessing the same NAS from my laptop is fine. Internet from my desktop is fine. Accessing my other NAS from my desktop is also catastrophically slow.

No idea what to try. That both NASes are affected, and that the issue only affects the desktop, indicates the NASes aren't the issue. The fact that the internet is fine (I can watch 4K on YouTube) from the desktop indicates my connection to the router is fine. I'm at a loss here.

Desktop is connected via ethernet, laptop is connected via WiFi. Both running Win10.

kanewolf

Titan
Was doing a couple of things with files on my NAS, which runs my media server. I think I was backing a disc up, and re-encoding a file, and possibly one or two other tasks. Anyway, it all came to a screeching halt. The encode just got stuck on 81% and sat there. There was no error about the drive being inaccessible, although for all intents and purposes it appeared to be. Eventually everything stopped responding, I rebooted. Still had the same issues. Even navigating in Windows Explorer is a "double click on a folder, go make a coffee, come back, drink the coffee, read the paper, then the folder might have opened" proposition.

Local storage is fine. Accessing the same NAS from my laptop is fine. Internet from my desktop is fine. Accessing my other NAS from my desktop is also catastrophically slow.

No idea what to try. That both NASes are affected, and that the issue only affects the desktop, indicates the NASes aren't the issue. The fact that the internet is fine (I can watch 4K on YouTube) from the desktop indicates my connection to the router is fine. I'm at a loss here.

Desktop is connected via ethernet, laptop is connected via WiFi. Both running Win10.
Here is a test. In windows explorer, put "\\<NAS IP ADDRESS> in the access bar at the top of explorer. Is that fast ?

let me guess - windows on the desktop? Double-check your "network and sharing center" in your settings and make sure it's set to private network, which *should* allow the normal CIFS filesharing to work.

If not login to one of the NAS on the laptop and check out the logs in the admin interface while trying to login via the desktop.