Question NAS Running Horrendously Slowly, Only from One Machine Though

koberulz

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2010
Was doing a couple of things with files on my NAS, which runs my media server. I think I was backing a disc up, and re-encoding a file, and possibly one or two other tasks. Anyway, it all came to a screeching halt. The encode just got stuck on 81% and sat there. There was no error about the drive being inaccessible, although for all intents and purposes it appeared to be. Eventually everything stopped responding, I rebooted. Still had the same issues. Even navigating in Windows Explorer is a "double click on a folder, go make a coffee, come back, drink the coffee, read the paper, then the folder might have opened" proposition.

Local storage is fine. Accessing the same NAS from my laptop is fine. Internet from my desktop is fine. Accessing my other NAS from my desktop is also catastrophically slow.

No idea what to try. That both NASes are affected, and that the issue only affects the desktop, indicates the NASes aren't the issue. The fact that the internet is fine (I can watch 4K on YouTube) from the desktop indicates my connection to the router is fine. I'm at a loss here.

Desktop is connected via ethernet, laptop is connected via WiFi. Both running Win10.

kanewolf

Titan
Was doing a couple of things with files on my NAS, which runs my media server. I think I was backing a disc up, and re-encoding a file, and possibly one or two other tasks. Anyway, it all came to a screeching halt. The encode just got stuck on 81% and sat there. There was no error about the drive being inaccessible, although for all intents and purposes it appeared to be. Eventually everything stopped responding, I rebooted. Still had the same issues. Even navigating in Windows Explorer is a "double click on a folder, go make a coffee, come back, drink the coffee, read the paper, then the folder might have opened" proposition.

Local storage is fine. Accessing the same NAS from my laptop is fine. Internet from my desktop is fine. Accessing my other NAS from my desktop is also catastrophically slow.

No idea what to try. That both NASes are affected, and that the issue only affects the desktop, indicates the NASes aren't the issue. The fact that the internet is fine (I can watch 4K on YouTube) from the desktop indicates my connection to the router is fine. I'm at a loss here.

Desktop is connected via ethernet, laptop is connected via WiFi. Both running Win10.
Here is a test. In windows explorer, put "\\<NAS IP ADDRESS> in the access bar at the top of explorer. Is that fast ?

let me guess - windows on the desktop? Double-check your "network and sharing center" in your settings and make sure it's set to private network, which *should* allow the normal CIFS filesharing to work.

If not login to one of the NAS on the laptop and check out the logs in the admin interface while trying to login via the desktop.

koberulz

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2010
Here is a test. In windows explorer, put "\\<NAS IP ADDRESS> in the access bar at the top of explorer. Is that fast ?
It took 12 minutes to display the contents of the NAS.

let me guess - windows on the desktop? Double-check your "network and sharing center" in your settings and make sure it's set to private network, which *should* allow the normal CIFS filesharing to work.

If not login to one of the NAS on the laptop and check out the logs in the admin interface while trying to login via the desktop.
Network is private. Sharing works, just obscenely slowly (like, 15 minutes to open a txt file). I was literally in the middle or working with files when everything suddenly ground to a halt, so it can't be a settings thing as nothing on that front changed.

I did notice last night that when I am doing something particularly strenuous with the NAS (like trying to open a txt file), the internet slows dramatically as well.

I'm not sure what you mean about the logs. I can access the TrueNAS log just fine from the desktop machine: the web UI handles just as smoothly as it always has. I updated all the way from Angelfin to Dragonfish last night, with each one taking only a few minutes. So it's something specifically to do with Windows.

Ralston18

Titan
On the desktop use Task Manager, Resource Monitor, and Process Explorer (Microsoft, free) to observe system performance.

Use all three tools but only one tool at a time.

Start doing things that do not require the NAS. Keep the tool window open and simply watch to determine what system resources are being used, to what extent, and what is using any given resource.

Then, leaving the tool window open, do something that you know will make the NAS(s) run "horrendously slow".

Watch for what changes. Make take a bit of trial and error to work out a methodical and consistent observation process. Take your time - there is no need to rush.

Process Explorer:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

And, in light of @lantis3 's question, try observing with each NAS individually ( the other NAS shutdown), and then with both NAS's up and running.

Objective simply being to discover what is happening when NAS performance slows.

koberulz

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2010
What make and model NAS are we talking about?
How many files and folders are there on the top level ? \\<NAS IP ADDRESS>
TrueNAS Scale, three folders. But it also affects my Synology DS1819+, and both boxes work absolutely fine from my laptop. I'm also having zero issues watching 4K UHD rips stored on the NASes via my NVIDIA Shield. So it's something to do with this machine.

It came good, randomly, shortly after I did that test, and is now back to being absolutely awful again. I tried opening a file a few minutes later and it's still not open.

On the desktop use Task Manager, Resource Monitor, and Process Explorer (Microsoft, free) to observe system performance.
That's a lot of tabs, and I'm not sure what to look at. I also can't compare to doing nothing-affecting-the-NAS because I tried opening a file an hour ago and it's still tied up doing that. CPU is fine, memory is pretty maxed out (my browser uses most of my RAM at all times anyway, so that's unlikely to be related), Network seems pretty busy. The "TCP Connections" box in Resource Monitor is basically just light green, with a small dark green bit in the very top right corner. Absolutely nothing showing on "Local Area Connection" or "Local Area Connection 3". The "Network" window shows lots of spikes heading way off the top of the graph.

I62dFT9.png