vincepalmire

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
hi

i would like to connect a network storage device through the second gigabit port on my motherboard/desktop. the first is connected to a 16 port router. i would like to know if this will work, and have my network storage device see the rest of the network. will i need a crossover cable?

i am running vista 32 bit

vince

r_manic

Administrator
Ah, you mean like when you have to connect two computers to each other with ethernet? Yes, but I also wonder why you can't connect the second NAS to your router instead?

wuzy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009

Bandwidth limitation could be one reason.
With two GbE ports on motherboard tho 'teaming' them is possible. My X38-DQ6 came with instructions on how, but for others you'd have to Google them.

agillis

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
You can do this. You need to assign a hard Ethernet address to the second port on your machine as there is no DHCP server on your mini (two machine) network. You will also need to assign a hard Ethernet address in the same range to your NAS.

You don't need a crossover cable. All Gigabit port have auto MDX and can "auto-crossover"

make sure you pick IP address that are not in the range of your other network for example

Router PC (port1) PC (port 2) NAS
192.168.1.1 <---> 192.168.101 192.168.2.1 <--> 192.168.2.2

If you want other devices on the network to see your NAS you will also need to set up routing on your windows box.

You will also have to add a route into your router that point to your 192.168.2.x network. Not all routers support this.

Hope this helps.

TRENDING THREADS