[SOLVED] Need a new monitor

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Mar 21, 2020
My rig is pretty old but I'm looking for a new monitor that will run pretty well with it. I'm pretty sure it will have to be a 1080p monitor.

GTX 680 Lightning
i5-2500k
8GB Corsair Vengeance

Solution
Yeah, we'd all like an OLED panel. If they weren't like three thousand dollars.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=OLED+mon...6011&ref=sr_nr_p_n_feature_three_browse-bin_1

OLED is NOT what you are looking for. OLED panels and televisions are GROSSLY expensive and are generally reserved for people with rather deep pockets. If that's you, then great, but unfortunately these are primarily TV oriented and the few monitors that exist in the consumer market are, as I said and linked to, outrageously expensive.

This monitor, which I and many others around here have, is a little bit bigger, but it's extremely difficult to find something better without...

sub3marathonman

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2013
I was also looking at tftcentral which seems to go pretty in-depth for their reviews.

If you're OK with a 27" regular monitor, at Newegg there is the Nixeus EDG27,
EDG27 Monitor at $299 on sale for a few more days only.

I'm hoping this doesn't violate any rule here, if it does of course I will edit it out, but further I have no business association nor will reap any financial profit from the Newegg recomendation.

I'd been looking at the Nixeus EDG 34, but can't find definitive data about the bit depth of that monitor.

sub3marathonman

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2013
There are definitely some important concerns on the professional reviews for that CHG70. Chiefly, which happens to be one of my biggest pet peeves, is the fact that that unit has poor black depth and uniformity. That is a deal breaker for any monitor I am looking at. If it can't do black properly, I'm not even interested in it.

I too, after coming from the LG OLED TV, need to find the absolute blackest of the blacks, which seems to prove extremely difficult. The VA panels in general are there according to my research, but the IPS panels with the 384 dimming zones might approach or surpass it, once again according to the experts.