Need a new PSU, mine is dying on me now!

Truhls

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Well like the title says my PSU is dying on me now. I Know all the good brands and all that but i dont know how you figure out what PSU has what amps, and id like to be able to run 2 5830's in the future for crossfire if i can get a good deal on the second one.

Wondering what you all would suggest for a new PSU, preferably close to the 100 dollar range.

Here are the official power requirements for the ATI Radeon HD 5830 video card.

ATI Radeon™ HD5830 System Requirements:

PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard

500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75 watt, 6-pin, PCI Express® power connectors.

600 Watt or greater power supply with four 75 watt, 6-pin, PCI Express® power connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode.

The power supply recommendations are for an entire pc system.

You can usually find the current (amps) listed in the power supply specifications at newegg.com.

A high quality 500 to 550 watt psu will have a +12 volt rail rated at 40 amps. A high quality 700 to 750 watt psu will have a +12 volt rail rated at 60 amps.

In addition the power supply should be at least 80+ Bronze certified for energy efficiency. There are some models available which have achieved 80+ Silver and 80+ Gold Certifications.

Corsair and Seasonic are two of the brands that have a reputation for high quality power supplies that consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are reliable, stable, and come with a 5 year warranty. Some of the newer models come with a 7 year warranty. Lately we've been seeing a few other brands offering some high quality units.

Truhls

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009

Well i got a pretty crappy PSU a while ago

a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153028

to be exact cus it was cheap and worked well for my needs.Lasted through two builds as well, so it worked out well. But i dont see where it says what the amps are.