[SOLVED] Need a stronger processor that will be able to handle recent games

Mar 13, 2020
My build is:
i5 7400
16gb ddr4 ram
gtx 1050ti 4gb
550w psu

Most of the games I play are CPU intensive and I'm facing problems playing simple games like pubgm on an emulator. My CPU usage is always too high and my game always stutters. I figured this build would last a while but the cpu just isn't holding up. Can't even maintain solid 60 fps.(It's mainly because the emulator is optimized very poorly but I still want a processor that will be able to handle it).

I would very much appreciate it being on the cheaper side. I don't have a problem with getting one that's been used. I also have zero knowledge about buying/selling used processors, are they easy to find?

Sorry for the long post. Would appreciate some help.

Solution
First of all, emulators are single threaded.
For improved performance, concentrate first on single thread performance.
Your current I5-7400 has 4 threads and a passmark performance rating of 5502. That is when all 4 cores are operating at 100%. Likely, not a frequent occurrence.
The single thread rating is 2107.
The strongest processor your motherboard can support is a 8 thread i7-7700K.
The passmark rating for that is 9738 and 2739 for single thread performance.
Your motherboard does not support overclocking of the K suffix processors, so your actual performance will be a bit less.
I have no problem buying a used processor from a seller with good feedback.
Ebay protects buyers.
Go to ebay and find the product. Filter on completed...

alexbirdie

Respectable
Looks like as if i7-7700K would be the highest level cpu possible for your socket 1151.

Can be overclocked easily, might be a win for you( but not too much).

But honestly:

A new system with amd 3600x would be much better for you.
Means new motherboard . your ddr4-ram you can use on it.

costs: cpu about 200 Euro, motherboard about the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: bilalmalik853
Mar 13, 2020
Looks like as if i7-7700K would be the highest level cpu possible for your socket 1151.

Can be overclocked easily, might be a win for you( but not too much).

But honestly:

A new system with amd 3600x would be much better for you.
Means new motherboard . your ddr4-ram you can use on it.

costs: cpu about 200 Euro, motherboard about the same.
Thanks man, this helps. I'm thinking about doing that aswell, but 400dollars is quite a bit :/
Would there be a cheaper option in terms of motherboard, and if yes, what are the cons?

Mar 13, 2020
Budget cpu for gaming ryzen 5 3600 (199,99$) and msi b 450 tomahawk max (114,99$) or msi b 450 gaming plus (104,99$) prices is according to pcpartpicker.
Thanks man. What are the differences between the motherboards? I wanna keep it as cheap as possible and I'm thinking about going for the processor but idk bout the motherboard. Also do you guys have any idea how much my processor and mobo will sell for? (i5 7400 and h110m-k)
Also will my motherboard not be compatible with amd ryzen 5 3600?

AngelJin

Commendable
Jun 19, 2020
Thanks man. What are the differences between the motherboards? I wanna keep it as cheap as possible and I'm thinking about going for the processor but idk bout the motherboard. Also do you guys have any idea how much my processor and mobo will sell for? (i5 7400 and h110m-k)
Also will my motherboard not be compatible with amd ryzen 5 3600?

U mobo is for intell no compatible with amd cpu's. As for mobos u can read HERE and watch HeRe the differences.
As for prices i cant help u cause in my country i5 7400 200 euros is more expensive than i5 8400 and i5 9600 kf and the i5 9600k is 10 euros more than 7400. The mobo sell brand new for 60 euros Asus-h110m-k.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The 3600 isn't all that much better than a 7700k.

You can get a 7700k on ebay for somewhere between @ $200-$300 ish.

A new Ryzen + mobo + ram ( cheaper to keep old ram, but performance goes in the toilet) will run $400+

The i7 is a dead end, it's the best cpu you can get for that generation mobo. The Ryzen, can possibly see an upgrade to the upcoming 4000 series, so if you go with a cheaper cpu than the 3600, like a 3100, then get a good cpu later, the end result will be considerably better than a i7.

You are thinking a 1 time purchase for budget, for a pc that's going to last 5 years ish. The i7 will be closer to 3 years in comparison. If you build the pc in steps, decent mobo/cheaper cpu/original ram and upgrade as sales (Black Friday!) and saved up money allow, you'll get continuously better results. Your improvements stop at the i7.

But that all depends on what you have now. If it's aftermarket, you are good but if you are trying to upgrade a Dell or HP with a 7400, you'll be out of luck.

Mar 13, 2020
But that all depends on what you have now. If it's aftermarket, you are good but if you are trying to upgrade a Dell or HP with a 7400, you'll be out of luck.
Don't quite get what this bit means. Im also up for upgrading it in steps but atm I want a cpu that will be able to actually handle games without struggling. I'm gonna do some research on the ryzen processors, how much cheaper will the 3100 be and which decent motherboard do you recommend? Also whats the difference in performance compared to my i5 7400? I thought it was a decent processor but its super weak. One last question, will the 3600 or 3100 work okay with my 1050ti?

Your current I5-7400 has 4 threads and a passmark performance rating of 5502. That is when all 4 cores are operating at 100%. Likely, not a frequent occurrence.
Your motherboard does not support overclocking of the K suffix processors, so your actual performance will be a bit less.
Ebay protects buyers.
Go to ebay and find the product. Filter on completed auctions and you will see what the item actually sold for.
I see i7-7700K selling in the $250-$300 range.
I saw a couple selling for $60 but they were shipped from india. I have no idea if that is a scam.
A slightly lesser option is the i5-7600K which sells for $150. It might represent a 20% boost in capability.
You can also find out what your i5-7400 and motherboard will fetch.
I5-7400 looks to be in the $80 range; more than I might have thought.

I would concentrate on intel processors,
In general, they have fewer threads but the single thread performance is usually better than amd.
For example, the r5-3600 has 12 threads which you don't need, but a rating of17809/2579.
You will also need a new AM4 motherboard.

On the intel side, the i5-9600k has dropped in price to be about the same as r5-3600.
It has 6 threads and a rating of 10878/2785
You will want a Z370 or Z390 based motherboard.

For any option, look up the characteristics and passmark ratings for comparison.

Solution
Mar 13, 2020
Ebay protects buyers.
Go to ebay and find the product. Filter on completed auctions and you will see what the item actually sold for.
I see i7-7700K selling in the $250-$300 range.
I saw a couple selling for $60 but they were shipped from india. I have no idea if that is a scam.
A slightly lesser option is the i5-7600K which sells for $150. It might represent a 20% boost in capability.
You can also find out what your i5-7400 and motherboard will fetch.
I5-7400 looks to be in the $80 range; more than I might have thought.

I would concentrate on intel processors,
In general, they have fewer threads but the single thread performance is usually better than amd.
For example, the r5-3600 has 12 threads which you don't need, but a rating of17809/2579.
You will also need a new AM4 motherboard.

On the intel side, the i5-9600k has dropped in price to be about the same as r5-3600.
It has 6 threads and a rating of 10878/2785
You will want a Z370 or Z390 based motherboard.

For any option, look up the characteristics and passmark ratings for comparison.
Thank you for the detailed post. I was also considering going for intel because the ryzen build is costing alot. I was thinking about going for an i7 6700, what do you think about this? I'll definitely check out i5 7600k. If my motherboard doesn't support overclocking, won't buying a k suffix processor be a mistake? As I won't be able to use it at its potential? Also my motherboard supports 6th gens, mine however is a 7th gen, does this have any effect on performance?

you don't want another 4 thread CPU (7600K), which is more than half of the problem....

The 7th gens run at 100-200 more MHz higher clock speeds than 6th gen, so are a little faster...

By the way, the 7700 (non-K) shows $380+ USD on Amazon...which would fund a B550 and a R3-3300X, which comes strikingly close to the gaming perfomrance of the R5-3600, as all the 3300X has 4 cores/8 threads on one 'chiplet'...

What is the make/model of your motherboard?

True, if your motherboard does not support overclocking, you can not overclock and get the maxim potential performance.
But the K suffix processors have a higher standard clock than the non K versions.
For example the i5-7600 has a stock clock of 3.5 and can boost to 4.1
The i5-7600K has a stock clock of 3.8 and can boost to 4.2.
With a suitable Z motherboard, the 7600K can do perhaps 20% better with overclocking.

It is probably not worth it to upgrade the motherboard.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Apart from some cpus having a 0-200MHz bump, the only tangible difference between a K and non-K cpu is a K has been unlocked by Intel for overclocking. Otherwise, same cpu. You can use a K or non-K on any motherboard, as long as bios will recognise the cpu.

You just can't overclock unless you have both cpu and motherboard unlocked, a K and a Z.

I'd not even consider another i5. The 7600K realistically offers no benefit other than a couple hundred MHz, which would translate into @ 5fps ±. Any thread restrictions would still be in place, high usage etc.

AngelJin

Commendable
Jun 19, 2020
Be patient save money w8 for ryzen 4000 series to lauch so the 3000 series prices drop and then move to an amd system its not like ur pc broke u just need better fps.U will need to upgrade and ur gpu cause 1050 ti is not optional for 2020-2021 so u will have to w8 for nvidia and amds new gpu's. All the new products cpu-gpu is rummored to release Q4 2020 u need to w8 and some time after release so the price stabilize a good time to upgrade after u have done ur search and u know what u want will be at Black friday to save money 27 November 2020.