[SOLVED] Need advice for building Mid-End to High-End Server PC

hakim.homecentra

Honorable
Mar 26, 2018
Hello, i have some experience build a home or gaming pc but a total beginner at server pc. here some requirement of what we need

• Budget up to 600$ to 800$
  • Can be use 24/7 Hour with minimal Watt as possible
  • We are using SQL Server and XAMPP as our Main database.
  • Have a good data transfer
  • Can handle big workload from internal client computer or even external client like our customer need to open our website or software.

i'm sorry for the lack of information, i don't even know where to start for the new server needed. i hope you can give me an advice for every component need from cpu to case. thanks in advanced

Solution
SQL Server - Is this a deployed database, or for development?
"open our website " - This is to be a web server as well?
How many users? Internal and/or external?
Backups, security, load balancing, network infrastructure, etc, etc.
Just a sample of the considerations that need to be looked into.

i'm sorry for the lack of information, i don't even know where to start
Then you shouldn't be building this at all. Seriously.
There are a thousand other questions that need to be asked and answered, other than the basics we've started with here.

This is NOT the same as a game system in your living room.

kanewolf

Titan
Hello, i have some experience build a home or gaming pc but a total beginner at server pc. here some requirement of what we need

• Budget up to 600$ to 800$
  • Can be use 24/7 Hour with minimal Watt as possible
  • We are using SQL Server and XAMPP as our Main database.
  • Have a good data transfer
  • Can handle big workload from internal client computer or even external client like our customer need to open our website or software.
i'm sorry for the lack of information, i don't even know where to start for the new server needed. i hope you can give me an advice for every component need from cpu to case. thanks in advanced
$600 to $800 is for a business server is not going to get you much with new hardware. A Windows server license will eat most of that ...

kanewolf

Titan
i see, for reference how much you need yo build and which part is needed? as for the license we already bought it so it doesnt count for the next budget
For business use, I am not a fan of built-it-yourself. If a power supply fails, YOU are responsible. Not a call to 1-800-HELP-ME! ....

What is your total storage requirements? What is your transactional requirements? What is your backup/disaster recovery strategy? Is this "mission critical"? If so should this be multiple physical hosts with a virtualization system like VMWARE and VMOTION ?

THESE are the questions that need to be asked before thinking about any hardware recommendations. YOU need to do basic systems design first.

USAFRet

Titan
SQL Server - Is this a deployed database, or for development?
"open our website " - This is to be a web server as well?
How many users? Internal and/or external?
Backups, security, load balancing, network infrastructure, etc, etc.
Just a sample of the considerations that need to be looked into.

i'm sorry for the lack of information, i don't even know where to start
Then you shouldn't be building this at all. Seriously.
There are a thousand other questions that need to be asked and answered, other than the basics we've started with here.

This is NOT the same as a game system in your living room.

Solution

hakim.homecentra

Honorable
Mar 26, 2018
For business use, I am not a fan of built-it-yourself. If a power supply fails, YOU are responsible. Not a call to 1-800-HELP-ME! ....

What is your total storage requirements? What is your transactional requirements? What is your backup/disaster recovery strategy? Is this "mission critical"? If so should this be multiple physical hosts with a virtualization system like VMWARE and VMOTION ?

THESE are the questions that need to be asked before thinking about any hardware recommendations. YOU need to do basic systems design first.
sorry if my question is misleading, i'm not planning to build it. i want to bought it if possible and just plug the power to use it.

• as for the storage i think 1 TB to 2 TB is enough, as for the current storage of 500 GB is still has 200 more free capacity
  • for the transactional use, we are a retailer company so cashier and our sales use it a lot and each minute it has at least one or two database transaction, as for the sales person, we have about 50 people using a smart phone to access our database. about 30 on weekday and full 50 on weekend
  • it does not need a Virtual Machine as the requirement database is only SQL Server and XAMPP.
  • and can you please tell me what is this mission critical sir ?
  • for the backup, currently we are using external hard drive of 4 TB , and we back up the SQL Server and XAMPP Data on it daily, and we also have another desktop pc not really server, that already installled all requirement software in case if server is down to unexpected error. so we just need to plug the Hard Drive to the backup PC and restore the database. and use it temporarely until the main server is fix again.