Need Advice for New Build

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

athlom

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
I've got an above average knowledge of computers, I've exchanged parts myself on my current pc among other various things. However this is my first time building one from the ground up.

Battlefield 3 Ultra Quality & Ultra Performance PC

I've been looking at this and contemplating this build for awhile and have gotten mixed review on it. Some say you don't need the extra card, etc, etc. I want to know what you guys think. Should I stick with this build or could somebody put me one together at a better cost (cheaper).

Approximate Purchase Date: Putting an order in tonight would be awesome, but I want to give everyone a chance to put in their two cents, so by the end of this weekend I would like to reach a final decision.

Budget Range: Anywhere up to $2200, this is to include everything including os, etc. (Preferably right about $2000 at the most after mail in rebates)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Schoolwork, Media, Surfing.

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg OR TigerDirect

Parts Preferences: Only preferences are Intel/Nvidia

Overclocking: Doesn't matter

SLI or Crossfire: Doesn't matter

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: My goal is to basically have a PC that can run BF3 on ultra with a good frame rate (something that will last a couple years/be easily upgraded if need be) and something quiet. Preferably fan cooled, never used liquid cooling, but i'm open to it as long as it's not TOO complicated.

My dad has put the same version of Win 7 as another computer of ours had on another computer, and it not once said that the copy is not genuine. It did when he installed Windows XP, but we activated the copy over the phone.

It isn't that hard to find somewhere for it.

Just lay it on the bottom of the 5.25 bay cage or something.

- Edit - Do you mean to say that your dad installed Windows twice at the same time AND using the same CD key AND it is a single license key AND he was able to activate both?

If so, it isn't supposed to work like this and he should get a 2nd legal CD key.

athlom

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012

Okay, I've connected it to the PSU but i'm not 100% sure where else to connect it to.

I think I will just use XP. I don't want to spend anymore $.

athlom

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
Everything is working and running, except for video. I can't seem to get a signal. Classic "No Signal; Please Check Cable"

Tried reinserting the GPU.
Tried taking the ram out and back in.
Tried connecting via just an HDMI cable rather than the VGA/Adapter.
Tried 2 different monitors.

Also when I start the PC it beeps quickly twice. Turns off for 2 seconds, and resumes the start proccess, staying on with another two quick beeps as it starts again.

MOBO: ASUS P8Z68 DELUXE/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX
GPU:SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7970 3GB

2 beeps usually means bad RAM.

Get CT2KIT51264BA1339 instead like I suggested in the 3rd or 4th post of the thread.

Either that or you can fight with your current RAM if you want (what I hoped for you to avoid, originally).

If that is your thing, then take the power cord out, take the battery out, push the RAM in hard to make sure it is all the way in, and after 30 min put the battery back in. Try it enough times and it might eventually work.